By morning_glory - 27/01/2015 21:17 - United States - Los Angeles

Today, my boss expected me to corroborate her lie to a customer. She changed her story suddenly and I got caught up in the crosshairs. Then she got mad at me for not understanding what just happened. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 837
You deserved it 2 252

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your boss shouldn't be lying to customers, shouldn't rope you into it, and shouldn't screw it up. And then she shouldn't blame you. She's an all around mess, isn't she?

Comments

sounds like its time for a new job maybe?

If for some reason a new job is pursued, OP won't be able to con people... If honestly stick with the job, and explain to the boss why it's wrong.

silvermoon5033 26

It is better to tell your boss that you aren't going to lie, even if it may cost you a job, than to lie blantanly to a customer's face.

She probably should have gave you a run down of the plan

Your boss shouldn't be lying to customers, shouldn't rope you into it, and shouldn't screw it up. And then she shouldn't blame you. She's an all around mess, isn't she?

Should've just went with the good ol' backup plan. Say "I did not have sexual relations with that woman." then walk off.

"Ah, geez. I am so sorry. That's my bad. I had a late night last night studying. And then, this morning I was so tired I wore my socks into the shower on accident!" The good old way to make a lie believable is to add a small embracing event.

Is anyone else wondering what the lie was?. OP, you owe us a follow up!

kirbs19 37

She should know not to lie. Don't corroborate her lie, no matter how much she expects it.

what if you were the one lying and you didnt know it? you should think this through

Sorry, but YDI for lying. If it was something small your boss should have just apologized to the customer. If it was something big then you really don't want to get involved. Customers can and do carry voice and video recorders (these days they look exactly like cellphones.. wait, they are cellphones) and your job is not worth potentially getting caught up in what could easily be escalated from "covering your boss' mistake" to "criminal charges of fraud". Looks like you didn't get into too much trouble, but next time anyone asks you to lie for them then just power up your cellphone's camera quietly and say, "Sorry, I won't lie. I don't know the full story and don't want to end up facing criminal charges.". And if your boss fires you then take that recording to court. No-matter what they claim you did you'll instantly be a more credible witness than a boss who asked you to lie for them.

TallMist 32

You're assuming they went along with it. Plus, her job could have been at stake, considering how bad that boss is.