By Serenadipity - 22/12/2015 03:37 - United States

Spicy
Today, my 15 year-old brother told us his girlfriend is pregnant. He was taught in his abstinence-only sex ed that condoms don't prevent pregnancy. My parents are blaming her pregnancy on me, for not telling him the truth about sex, because parents giving their kids the sex talk is "too awkward." FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 668
You deserved it 1 905

Serenadipity tells us more.

Serenadipity 11

31- If I had any inkling of what was going on, I would have tried to do something about it. I didn't even know he had a girlfriend, let alone that he was having sex.

Top comments

Your brother and his girlfriend are the only two to blame. If you believe you're mature enough for sex, then you're mature enough to do your homework on the risks as well.

Comments

AleyahRose123 6

stupid af classes. the teachers should be telling him this stuff. And yes, condoms don't prevent pregnancy, but they help and they should've told him that. Smh.

They can help prevent pregnancy, they're just not 100% affective, no birth control is except for abstinence, that's what I was taught but I was also informed of different kinds of birth control in school.

Ah, the wonders of the American education system. Also, your parents are jackasses.

Because he is a horny teenager in the middle of puberty, who happens to not only have the desire but also the opportunity (willing girlfriend) to do it.

That makes sense. I guess some people have more self control with this

Why is self control needed? Him and his girlfriend both wanted to. Sex is natural, and both of their bodies are matured enough to have sex (they've both gone through puberty).

Yes, their bodies may be mature. But clearly they aren't mentally mature enough to have sex if they're that uneducated about it.

You're only a year younger than I am (to the day) and we both are from Ohio. Strange… Anywho, I have a cousin who is 8 weeks younger than I am who found out similarly about the "where babies come from". His parents gave him "the talk" (he complained to me about it because they gave it to his younger brother, who is 2 years younger than we are, at the same time) and our school was abstinence based but also did talk about safe sex (same school and same teacher). He didn't seem to understand how she got pregnant when "she was on the pill" and "he used a condom" and is now the father of a little boy. His parents wouldn't listen to anyone (including his brother) when we told them what was happening because "he wouldn't lie" (he did until she was almost showing). Then his parents were mad at everyone but him (including everyone who had "lied" about it before) because "he didn't know any better" (bet me). The funny thing is that he grew up never going to church, Sunday school, or anything like that. I was at church every weekend, went to Sunday school (PSR) every weekend, and am part of 2 religions (Catholic and Moravian) and "somehow" I knew exactly what was going on between him and his "not a" girlfriend (baby mama).

Just playing devil's advocate here, but it is possible to get pregnant even when on the pill and using a condom. The chance of that happening is just astronomically small, so it is more likely one of them (or both) were lying...

Not to be an ass or anything but going to church has zero to do with it and doesn't make you somehow better. While he's probably lying about it, it's much more likely his parents pulling the whole "he's an angel and would never lie" is much more of an issue than not going to church. Parents that do that fail to teach their child to take responsibility for their actions, and encourages a sense of self entitlement.

# 85, that is how his brother was created. # 104, I know it doesn't make me better but the family seemed to think that because we (my parents and I) went to church it was (again) our fault for some reason. It probably didn't help when my mom made the reference to Mary's virgin birth when they announced that he was going to be a father. ☺ That part was also because of all the people saying that it was because of religion that they (the brother and the poster) were taught that. Being half Catholic (very "abstention" based only) and half Moravian (same as Catholic but even more strict) I still knew (and know) better than to think that "kids will be kids" as the saying goes (i.e., stupid) won't happen. And yes, his parents still let him get away with a lot. They do a lot with "the baby" so their son doesn't have to (baby mama doesn't come around much) and arrange it so he can still live a "normal young adult life" even though he has a son (in other words, they bathe the baby (not so much a baby anymore, but that's not the point), they watch the baby if they aren't at work (if they are, great grandma gets him or we end up with him if great grandma wants to go out), if he wants to out with friends he can, if he wants to stay in his room the baby stays down with them, etc.

I feel raffle bad for you and you you're brother OP, but I have a question. Is the girlfriend in the same boat? I mean having irresponsible parents and bad education? I took an accurate health class and it said that unless a girl was raped, she has an equal responsibility of making sure the sex is safe. If she isn't in the same boat, she might have wanted to get pregnant and used your uninformed brother. Or she was one of the people that trusted the pull out method, with isn't very smart. I pray for your family OP, including your unborn niece/nephew. And remember, adoption is always an option to talk to your brother about. Cuz apparently your parents won't. Good luck.

Serenadipity 11

They are in the same health class, so she did receive the same bad education. I don't know for sure about her parents, but I get the feeling they didn't talk to her either about the importance of using protection and having safe sex. I really don't think she wanted to get pregnant.

Idiotic parents and stupid people running the sex-ed program, but definitely NOT your fault, OP. What a sad situation for all parties involved, especially the baby if they decide to keep it. Actually, this FML is infuriating, the more I think about it. Sex Ed is important and that's why!!! Unwanted teenage pregmancies are no joke! Why do so many people fail to understand that is beyond me . Ugh! Good luck, OP!

Now OP, why did your son attend a school that provides abstinence-only sex-ed in the first place? Isn't it your responsibility to provide adequate education for your children?. Teaching children condoms don't work is a really effective way to produce teenage parents, and you should know it. So YDI (provided you had a choice of schools at all).

Looks like your education about reading comprehension was just as bad as the brother's education about sex

shortcake18 15

Sorry op I kinda know how you feel I was homeschooled and my parents didn't feel responsible for the sex talk so everything I know about sex I found on my own.