By Serenadipity - 22/12/2015 03:37 - United States

Spicy
Today, my 15 year-old brother told us his girlfriend is pregnant. He was taught in his abstinence-only sex ed that condoms don't prevent pregnancy. My parents are blaming her pregnancy on me, for not telling him the truth about sex, because parents giving their kids the sex talk is "too awkward." FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 667
You deserved it 1 905

Serenadipity tells us more.

Serenadipity 11

31- If I had any inkling of what was going on, I would have tried to do something about it. I didn't even know he had a girlfriend, let alone that he was having sex.

Top comments

Your brother and his girlfriend are the only two to blame. If you believe you're mature enough for sex, then you're mature enough to do your homework on the risks as well.

Comments

I hope you raise your future kids better.

Serenadipity 11

I can assure you that I will. I will also do everything I possibly can to make sure my future nephew or niece is raised better

I cannot come up with a reason why people would vote ydi on this

Accidentally hits the wrong button on the app, I've done that. Trying to get the medal for a certain number of ydi votes, or they could just be dicks..

Wow, that's just ridiculous and terrible. This is a failure on 2 accounts, the education system, and the parents. I'm pretty sure it's the parent's job to teach their kids, not the sibling's. This includes the basics of protecting themselves when approaching sex. Don't have a kid if you're not going to educate them. Also if it was "too awkward," for them to even talk about sex, maybe they aren't mature enough to be having sex either.

Mathalamus 24

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

If the OP did in fact receive the same failed education it would be important to note that they didn't run out and wind up pregnant. Therefore you can't really say "who should have known something like this would happen" because the fact that it didn't happen to them could cause them to not think of it occurring with their brother. If the OP was smart enough to do their research and learn they probably assumed their brother was too. Also it can be just as awkward for some people to talk sex with a sibling as it is for them to talk sex with an adult.

Yeah, that's where I want to know what kind of education the OP got on the topic. However, a sibling should not be responsible for their sibling or expected to do this. The parents chose to have them, the sibling had no choice in the matter. Therefore, the parents have a duty to provide knowledge so THEIR child is aware of how to navigate in the world and understand life. If it was really that big of a deal for the parents to have the talk, they shouldn't be turning to the sibling. They should be responsible enough to get their child an outside professional to teach them so they don't end up with misinformation or totally unaware. Also, from what it sounds like, the OP had no idea the brother didn't get an accurate education on the topic, so how were they even supposed to know their siblings needed it. Do the parents expect them to read minds?

Serenadipity 11

31- If I had any inkling of what was going on, I would have tried to do something about it. I didn't even know he had a girlfriend, let alone that he was having sex.

Serenadipity 11

39- I also got abstinence-only sex ed, but I was able to recognize the bullshit I was told as bullshit. It would appear my brother wasn't able to do that.

As a teacher myself, I do make sure my students know that yes, abstinence is best, but for the love of all that is good in this world, USE Protection!!!! I know that they, my students, are going to have sex, I can't stop that. I Can and Do tell them all the lovely STI's and STD's they can contract. That, and children are expensive! The joys of being a science teacher. hee hee

That's what sucks about my school, it's abstinence-only but so few people recognize the bullshit they tell you as actually wrong

Yes my favourite science teacher showed us lots of lovely pictures of STDs and what they can do to your body xD Interested me but made many of my classmates feel sick. If it weren't for the condom demonstration, I reckon most of my class would have been put off sex for a while

Let me guess- this is the first time they mentioned to you that you were responsible for giving "the talk." Just curious- did they give you the talk? Or did they just assume an uncle would do it or something?

Serenadipity 11

Yes. Honestly, I wish they would have just asked me. I would have talked to him if they had. The fact that an innocent baby is going to have two parents that are much too young and immature to be parents is much more upsetting to me than my parents blaming me. And to answer your question, no they didn't. The closest thing I got to a sex talk was my mom telling me about periods. Safe sex was a topic I had to teach myself about

KhaleesiDannie 26

I was kinda in the same position OP thankfully my younger sister didn't have sex before then but I was basically put in charge of telling her how sex worked my mom never even got the inkling to tell me till I was about to get married where she asked"You know how sex and babies work right? " thankfully the internet told me long ago but I'm sorry OP and hope things work out for you and your family

yellowzinnias 20

Same. My sexual education began pre-internet and involved my cousin and I stealing some of our great aunt's trashy romance novels when we were 12. Because of the purple prose, we walked away thinking that sex involved a man peeing inside you, and we swore we would NEVER do that. Happily, the internet became a common thing before either of us lost of virginity. Speaking for myself, it would have been a hot mess otherwise.

Ladies and gentlemen, the American educational system at work.

Your brother's sexual education is not your responsibility. If they have a hard time remembering that, then you can remind them that there are plenty of social services available for themselves and their son. Maybe they should've had him take an actual sex ed class. Point being, obviously there is an issue with an unborn child being involved, don't let them make you feel responsible for handling that either...I hope for your sake that you're being careful, obviously they would try to find someone else to blame rather than helping you. I honestly feel sorry for you and your brother both.

Serenadipity 11

I am indeed careful. I have an IUD and a strict no condom, no sex policy.

I totally misread this as 'Standing ovulation' :D

I didn't know your brother has 3 parents. Don't sweat it op, the only person at fault is your brother and his girlfriend

why are they not mad that their 15 year old is sexually active?

Not everyone gets mad when their teenager acts like a teenager. However, I'm pretty sure the parents in this case just wanted to blame someone.

26- My parents weren't mad when I was sexually active at 15. They knew I was being safe.

Boo on the parents for not bucking up and getting over themselves to talk about sex. Sex is sex, it's natural, it's a way of life, get over it!