By anonymous - 19/02/2017 17:00 - United States - Los Angeles

Today, we've hit day 4 with no hot water in my apartment. Today is also day 4 of the office insisting that the plumber is "on his way". My neighbor just got arrested for screaming at them. Looks like we'll be entering day 5 soon. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 547
You deserved it 435

Same thing different taste

Top comments

alternative-facts 6

Withhold your rent. Set up an escrow account, put your rent money in it, and inform the landlord that you will not pay rent until he fixes the water. You can prove the rent money is available because of the escrow account. If it still doesn't get it fixed, tell him you'll have it done by an outside plumber, and deduct the cost from your rent. I had to do this once when I had no heat. It's not entirely legally defensible (I don't think), but it definitely made them fix my heat. Good luck to you, and hang in there.

thunderniron 22

Check with fair housing. I believe that in California you can withhold rent (prorated to the number of days without hot water) until they fix it. Basically, you don't have to pay rent for the time it's out.

Comments

In a similar case, my workplace has a fireplace area for the residents, and it's been broken for about three weeks now. The only guy who can help fix it is from another town, and we keep calling to find out when he'll show up just to get "as soon as I can." Three weeks. The residents are getting pissed, and this guy is the only one who can fix the gas line. I feel your pain, OP. And so do my residents.