By notgonnaeatthat - 17/03/2016 20:40 - Germany

Today, it appears that moth larvae can make a water boiler their home, especially during my absence for four weeks. I learned it the hard way by pouring their boiled carcasses over my noodles. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 691
You deserved it 2 204

Same thing different taste

Top comments

sandhusaurous 6

On the plus side, at least you're just the human with screwed up noodles and not the boiled carcass.

Comments

ulissey_fml 22

A month away is a way for moths.

I'm going to say it sucks for you, but you deserve it. You should be replacing that water atleast once a week, and definitely should be rinsing it out. (Especially after 4 weeks!) It's standing water in a container that heats itself. Bacteria's favourite place to be! No wonder they hung out in there!

Maybe like the OP from the other FML, you should pay attention to detail. It says an "absence for four weeks."

Still should have rinsed it out before using it after not being able to clean it for that long.

Sooo you wash your boiler every week?

youdon'tknowme 9

I don't think you understand the environments larva prefer: damp (NOT wet) and dark. You can have a spotlessly clean kettle,freshly washed, and have a little dampness remaining from the wash and you could still get larva. The key is dryness, not technically cleanliness.

askullnamedbilly 33

Well I did clean out my kettle and left the top open so it could dry out before spending the break with my parents, and I got a spider and her egg sac in my tea. Guess it depends on which type of insect flavored water you prefer personally.

I did pay attention to detail. Gone for 4 weeks? You clean that thing before you use it. The water in my kettle is replaced daily if there's anything left inside. I'm thinking if OP wasn't using a Kettle, they were using the machine that's a hot water dispenser that always stays hot/plugged in. And still, after 4 weeks; Yes you should be changing the water before you use it!

@#21 I empty and refill the water daily in my kettle. (Whats left in it since we use it daily) It gets Vinegar'd every/other week. So, yes!

@ #25 If you're replying to me, I'm meaning OP should have cleaned it before using it, especially after having been gone for 4 weeks; 4 weeks of water sitting is no-good. Sure something could have gone into it even if clean/dry, but I've always rinsed items before using. I'd think it would be common sense. :)

chill99 15

Yuck, that's mam-mothly disgusting. This is why I have a glass kettle.

Bear Grylls would be very happy :/ Sorry OP.

Talis99 26

There's been several of these. Maybe rinse your stuff out before cooking with it?

Aerobic_Exorcism 13

YDI for not cleaning the kettle, op.

youdon'tknowme 9

Everyone saying the OP isn't cleaning the kettle: the key is dryness not cleanliness. Washing won't help if there is dampness. I wash my coffeepot after every use but its design makes it hard to fully dry. One week of the flu/tea and first pot was swimming with carcasses. Learned to leave lid off.