By ekm86 - 26/11/2012 16:52 - United States - Portland

Today, in a state of extreme boredom, I decided to dress my 6-month-old son in girl's clothes. As he sat in my lap in a frilly dress, and as I was placing a very pink and lacy bow on his head, my mother-in-law unexpectedly walked in. She now thinks I'm mentally unstable and should be in therapy. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 273
You deserved it 41 395

ekm86 tells us more.

ekm86 3

OP here. For those that question why I had girl baby clothes it is because I have clothes from when I was a baby. They are too big for him but I was bored. And for those that think that babies are entertaining 24/7 then you are obviously not a parent. I am home alone with my child for 7 hours a day and I don't really know very many people or go too many places. My mother-in-law doesn't believe in knocking so she has a habit of just walking in. Also, I intended for this to be a one time silly event between just my child and I perhaps with me telling my husband later. I had no intentions of taking pictures to share on FB or any other social media site. (In fact, my child isn't pictured anywhere online.) Also, if my son "turns out gay" I won't really care because a few of my family members are homosexual. Lastly, I could've let my baby play with his toys but he vastly prefers me entertaining him over his toys.

Top comments

Yarrachel 16

Explain to her how that stuff is all socially constructed anyway. Pink used to be considered a boy's color!

obviousboy 8

How are you bored with your own 6 month old baby?

Comments

Yarrachel 16

It is very easy to get bored with a baby. It's not like it can hold a conversation or anything.

unknown_user5566 26

Next time, maybe you should just bring out his toys and PLAY with him if you're that bored. Babies aren't toys for you to use for your own entertainment. I don't think you're mentally unstable OP, but you definitely deserve it for using your child as a toy.

And I'm guessing your not a parent either. I know baby toys are colourful and look oh-so-fun in the commercials. Reality is, nobody including the baby really gives a damn about baby toys. My own child was best amused with a spoon or a spatula. Believe it or not, babies are not that much fun and excitement at all times. You do get bored every now and then.

unknown_user5566 26

174- With that being said, babies aren't toys for adults to play with. If OP was THAT bored then she could've put her son in a play-pen so he could have fun, and then done something around the house that she enjoys (read, watch a good show, watch a movie, play a game, etc).

Yarrachel 16

At that age, the baby was probably happier with his mom than being left alone in a playpen to entertain himself. I don't get why people are so upset at this mother dressing up her son for fun. Yeah, babies aren't there just for their parents' amusement, but they can be amusing sometimes, and it doesn't sound like he actually had a problem with any of this. She *was* playing with him, just not with toys.

So you think it's better for the baby to be left alone, ignored in a playpen, than paid attention to by a parent? I hope you never have children.

unknown_user5566 26

206- Yup, that's exactly what I said. You didn't twist my words or anything. I totally 100% believe that a child should be left all by their lonesome and ignored in a playpen.

nancyschmancy 9

Please see my response at number 271. Too late for me to edit and put in the right place by time I found it.

Get a doll if you're bored. YDI for being a moron. Your posting name just proves you really are an idiot.

SApprentice 34

Geez. People are so quick to scream that others are mentally ill. Don't listen to her, OP, plenty of people dress their boys in dresses just because it's easier than dealing with pants at diaper time all day. Just look at old photos- almost every boy is wearing a dress. Gender stereotypes mean nothing to a 6-month old, anyway. I'm just glad that you were having fun and bonding with your baby.

I like that you clearly went through all the posts that had a negative response and thumbed them down. You must be seriously bored. Have any children that you can dress up?

in a lot of eastern countries it common to dress all children as females and even address them by a female name for the first few years to ward off evil spirits and demons also it wasn't until the late 19th century that people even bothered to dress boys and girls diffidently before the age of 3 or 4 like in the 1950's poeple still dressed little boys the same as little girls

unknown_user5566 26

25- How did she "clearly" go through the posts that had negative responses and thumb them down?

I agree, 17. He's just a baby. He doesn't care how his mother dresses him or has the capacity to be embarrassed. It's not as if she forced a teenage boy into girl clothes and paraded him around in public for her own amusement. And babies are so androgynous, it's not like it would have looked strange to anyone who didn't know he was a boy.

Chaith 16

The real FML is that OP's mother-in-law can just unexpectedly walk in. Haha.

I was thinking the same thing and glad someone else thought the same.

nancyschmancy 9

I totally agree with you. My father-in-law walked into our house unannounced once. Caught me and the hubby in happy hour on the couch. It was the last time he came over without calling first!

You're better than me. I would have taken him outside to see if others would think he was a girl, too.

justbarb 11

this reminds me of an episode from the golden girls where the mom dressed her son up in dorthys hand me downs and the son grew up to be a cross dresser

I don't know about anyone else, but where did the baby sized dress come from? She has a boy but also bough girls outfits?

ByronJess 17

Maybe she has a daughter who is older than her baby boy.

I'm curious as well, thanks for posting this question.

MiloBear 11

Maybe she chose not to find out the gender of her baby before it was born and someone was hoping for a girl? Or as mentioned, she might have an older daughter. Or there could have been a playgroup/babysitting where some of the clothes were accidentally left behind.

I was curious too. An explanation for owning the dress is in order. I'd understand not knowing the gender beforehand or having a little girl in the home but I really want to know lol

Epikouros 31

When I was a small kid, we had a big bag of dress-up clothes, mostly old-fashioned hand-me-downs from aunts and uncles. Luckily, my parents didn't take pictures of me dressing up with my older sister.

strawberrywine22 30

As a younger sister of someone who wanted a girl so badly she dressed her son as a girl and introduced him as her daughter at the grocery store...I am so glad your mother-in-law walked in.

Epikouros 31

You're overreacting, this is nothing like presenting a boy as a girl full-time. BTW, I knew a guy who was dressed as a girl for years by his mother. He was pretty ******-up, but when puberty hit, he became a smooth ladies' man, because he'd grown up playing with girls and understanding their way of thinking.

DasHaas 9

Sheesh, talk about overreacting. Our girl also mostly wears boyish clothes because they're easier for her to move around in. Gender identity is what we touch our kids, they don't have much of it at a young age and they don't really care.