By PhD student - 10/02/2016 11:57 - Sweden - Stockholm

Today, I worked from home to actually be able to concentrate and make a presentation about my project. My boss then sends me a long email about how he wants us to work in the office, and how important it is for team building, giving me feelings of guilt for actually getting some work done. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 670
You deserved it 1 970

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I understand his issue with it, but maybe if you explained the situation to your boss he wouldn't mind you working from home on occasion. Either way, good luck with your presentation, OP.

You just can't please some people unfortunately.

Comments

swimthenread27 19

I find it funny that your boss wants you to be there for team building. Team building is usually a load of bullshit. For one, not many people like working in groups or teams and also a lot of work can actually be done faster and better individually.

CheekyRaccoon 27

If her boss was a travel agent, I'd say that they aren't very good at their job because they're sending you on a unwanted guilt trip.

you shouldn't feel guilty if you could work efficiently alone and at home.

He sent you a long email? Send one back; "tl;dr"

then you need to explain your intentions and show your progress.

I wasn't surprised to see you're a PHD student, the pressure to be seen to be working really hard can get intense. From my PhD buddies' and my own experiences I've learnt that you have to trust in your instincts about where to spend your valuable time and just let the guilt trips wash over you.

Maybe you could call in sick, or ask next time? I don't know why it's such a big deal, but rules are rules. Better luck next time!

It might be company policy to allow people to work from home. So, as a manager he might not have the authority to deny it, so he resorts to this. I've seen it happen, managers generally tend to find workarounds for company rules so they can still enforce their own rules.

So explain, work at home on occasion when it's necessary and stop feeling guilty over wanting to get work done.

writergirl1029 17

If he doesn't want his team to work from home, why didn't he make that clear when he hires you? If you just do it once in awhile I don't see how it can detract from team building; your boss probably just wants to hover over you and make sure you're working.