By likeyourboss - 04/10/2013 16:05 - Denmark

Today, I went to the gym. I tried out a new machine where you do one-arm weightlifting. I took my time to get into a good position, then set the machine to the lowest weight possible. I couldn't even lift it an inch. A bunch of buff guys nearby saw me and burst out laughing. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 702
You deserved it 5 945

Same thing different taste

Top comments

isableha 9

It's things like this that discourage a lot of people from going to the gym and getting healthy. Don't worry about them OP, they're just trying to feel better about themselves. Keep trying and you'll get it soon!

well you've got to start somewhere OP why not try 10pound dumbbells at home?

Comments

You won't see the results today. And you probably won't see them tomorrow. But you sure as hell will see them one day. Keep at it op

revan546 24

That's the exact reason I don't go to the gym; always afraid I'll get laughed at.

Don't worry about it, OP. There are assholes at every gym. There's always that one guy who thinks he's bigger and badder than everyone else and likes bicep curling in the squat rack. You'll start seeing results if you stay at it.

well you've got to start somewhere OP why not try 10pound dumbbells at home?

I go to the gym practically everyday, and even though I'm a little more fit then others, I never laugh at someone who is trying their hardest, and actually looking motivated. Everyone has a starting point, I had a starting point. Those guys are probably just meat heads :p keep trying OP, you'll get to that point one day.

isableha 9

It's things like this that discourage a lot of people from going to the gym and getting healthy. Don't worry about them OP, they're just trying to feel better about themselves. Keep trying and you'll get it soon!

Exactly why I avoid gyms. I don't need the looks from people who are in better shape than me. How do they expect me to improve without struggling through the first few months?

MikeonFML 17

@39 I foresaw the situation OP was in before going to the gym for the first time and I opted to do p90x at home first. It gave me a good base in strength/form in the comfort of my own home before I did anything publicly.

kyu_Q 19

some people forget where they were when they started. I like the planet fitness gyms and their judgement free zone credo. Like the other poster said use their laughter as motivation to get better.

I agree, don't mind these douche-bags, they are probably the type I see all the time at the gym. Flexing their muscles and staring at themselves with satisfaction in the mirrors. I'm a girl and I find them pathetic. Keep going, building muscle takes time. Don't give up.

DarkJediLove 19

No worries man machines can be tricky. I've been lifting since high school and even I couldn't lift the lowest weight on a machine once because it had some stupid locking mechanism. So it happens... and now I stick to dumbbells.

perdix 29

#4, the OP should have been lifting soup cans at home until he mustered the strength to lift the lightest weight at the gym. Maybe try a push-up or two?

MikeonFML 17

Not necessarily golden. Chances are they have better genes/played sports before hitting the gym the first time and most likely skipped the lightest weight.

sluttyMouth 3

This is why people don't go to the gym. It shouldn't matter if you're overweight, or a bodybuilder; you're trying to get healthier in either case. If you're the bodybuilder don't be a douche to someone whose trying.

It takes time and patience. Keep at it and soon they won't be laughing.

ya buff guts think they're all that but when you're too buff u just look creepy imo

I wouldn't worry about that too much. More experienced people always get a chuckle out of thew newbie.

Are you much younger than them if so I wouldn't worry about it plus strength is not in your arms it's in your brains

An education is important, but big biceps are more importanter.

Says the guy that can't use proper grammer. "important" there is no added "er".

This was a joke. Sorry you didn't get it though. You also spelled grammar incorrectly.

27, that was possibly one of the most catastrophic comment fails ever.

BriCx 8

If you're gonna be a grammar nazi, 27, try getting it right next time..