By whoawhat - 11/11/2009 06:55 - United States

Today, I went to the grocery store where I work to pick up my pay check. After I got it, I headed back to the dorms to take a quick nap before Chemistry later. I woke up, and my check was gone. I later found it. In the form of a text from my roommate saying he gambled away 'our' money. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 546
You deserved it 4 025

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Tell him to pay it back or you'll be taking him to small-claims court.

If this guy SENT you a confession you can definitely press charges.

Comments

So did he forge your signature? Or were you stupid enough to sign it before you got to the bank to do whatever you were going to do with it? Either way, he's in trouble. And for those of you saying you need an ID, that's BS. I have never once had to present ID at National City to either deposit or get cash back. So if that was the case with OP, all the roommate needed was the check to have already been signed and he was good to go.

I use Nationalcity and i ALWAYS need my ID to take money out. I would be a little concerned if your bank isn't asking for your ID. Unless they know you on a first-name-basis.... then duh.

skyeyez9 24

give him a day to pay you back. If he doesn't callthe police and press charges.

Direct deposit FTW. Though sometimes your employer screws up and you never get paid.

fmlanonymous_00 0

Assuming what op's roommate did what #16 said and cashed at "bad" places, you still deserve it for 1) not writing "deposit only" and 2) not putting it at a safe place. Just because he's your college roommate doesn't mean he wouldn't pull something stupid or occasionally illegal. YDI for not taking precaution.

You are an idiot. Why would you blame the victim of the crime? If someone got shot outside a store, are you gonna say YDI for standing outside the store? You should've been more careful, how can you assume he wasn't gonna shoot you? What kind of retarded logic is that? Do you live your whole life assuming every person you meet will do something illegal?

fmlanonymous_00 0

I agree--you can't blame the victim for getting shot outside a store or raped in the middle of the night or run over by a car etc. I'm sorry for OP that his idiotic roommate stole his money, but this is not the same as getting shot outside a store like the analogy you made. Taking the precaution to protect your money is a simple common sense, whether you see a theft coming or not. You can't prevent your roommate from stealing your money, but you can make it difficult to do to begin with. I lived and worked in a dorm, and it's a known fact that most dorm thefts can be prevented by simple precautionary measures. No, I don't assume everyone in my life has ill intents but yes, it's my responsibility to take the initiative to protect my own stuff, so hold off calling me an idiot until you can come up with a proper analogy. In any case, OP is more likely than not to get his money back. Take it as a lesson and don't let it happen again.

Maybe he should have been more careful, but if they're roommates I'd assume he probably trusted the guy, therefore he can't have deserved it. It's not like he left it on a park bench or something retarded like that.

No one ever said that he didn't take the precautionary measures to protect his money. We don't have all the details and can't jump to conclusions. The roommate could have just as easily gone through OP's stuff to find the check. He probably knew when OP would get paid and took the opportunity of OP being asleep.

That's theft tell him you'll call the cops if you don't get your money back now .

ozymandias_fml 0

Running into him after the police get through with him for fraud and identity theft will be awkward....

Brooklynxman 0

Small claims court. Also I think a beating my be in order.

Be defensive. Your money is not gone, your roommate stole from you and owes you the money. Don't just consider is lost change, do something about it and don't stop until you get all of the money back at the very least.

cheergurlxx2 0

fyl for that happening, but if you didnt do anything then thats also a ydi dude sue his ass

I find this false and hard to believe. Unless you had signed the back of the cheque or cashed it in, no one else has the right to use that cheque. So even if he gambled it away, the guy who won won't be able to use it anyways.

It only works that way in theory. I know at least our bank will cash any check as long as it's endorsed.