By Screwed - 03/10/2009 04:37 - United States

Today, I went to see my guidance counselor. I was supposed to hear from my college about a scholarship by October 3rd. I was worried since it was already the 2nd so I went to talk to her. She never turned in my nomination. Goodbye $80,000 scholarship. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 016
You deserved it 3 143

Same thing different taste

Comments

tomakobriefs 11

Even is she turned it in, doesn't mean you would have gotten it.

babymama1029 0

that's what i was going to say. don't give yourself so much credit...

No offense intended, but I wouldn't worry too much. I used to sit on a scholarship selection board, and my gut says you're not really scholarship material (my initial impressions, even based on a few sentences, tend to be right)... at least not in the league that competes for a scholarship of this size. Not that this will make you feel that much better, but you weren't going to win it anyway, so don't sweat it.

Just because you were on one single scholarship selection board at some point in the past for some amount of time doesn't mean you have any idea of what the scholarship that she applied to is looking for or the criteria upon which they're basing their decisions. I agree with you that $80,000 is a huge amount of money and her chances were probably slim based on statistics alone, and perhaps you do have great intuition, but there are so many scholarships out there that are given to students who are of a certain tiny demographic that it would be extraordinarily difficult to pigeonhole her into "not really scholarship material" based on a single paragraph. In other words, why've you got to be a jackass? Guidance counselors are there to help GUIDE you, not **** up along the way. Sure, they're human too, but it's not really her fault that someone else didn't follow through, even if it is an important lesson. It just sucks for her, and there's no need to make her feel worse about it.

Oh... don't get me wrong. I'd be angry if I were in her position. I'm just offering a professional hunch. If you don't like it, tough.

SuperSeriouslyFM 0

You used to sit on a scholarship selection board? Something tells me you didn't quit or retire from that job.

You say she didn't turn in your nomination - was she the one supposed to nominate you, or were you nominated by a teacher, and your guidance counselor was just supposed to send it in? If the counselor was responsible for nominating you, maybe she just didn't think you were worthy of nomination...

Just because she didn't send in the nomination, does not mean that if she had, you would have received the scholarship. Do you have any clue how many VERY qualified people apply for those? I don't think you would have had that scholarship even if the guidance counselor did send it in.

piano993 0

Your from NC, if I were you I would go out of state to college. Guidance counselors can be dumb.FYL

Almost the same exact situation happened with me, only it was my letter of recommendation to my dream school since the age of about six. Not cool at all.

Shelbino24 0

ok the schools tell you to turn your college acceptance stuff into the guidance office so everything can be turned it at one time and all together. they want to make sure that everything gets sent in time. so it is NOT the OP's fault at all for not sending it herself.. geez i mean come on, it was the stupid guidance counselors JOB... she should be fired. actually she most likely will be if her parents do anything about it

I think my brain would explode with rage if that had happened to me. How awful :(

snashy13 0

you probably wouldn't have gotten it anyways..

You dont know that. Now she wont ever know and thats ******* annoying.

Baselisk 0

bitch! you should do something about that...