Stickler

By GN. - 17/09/2012 04:47 - United States - New York

Today, I got stopped by the fuzz. The officer told me he "could care less" about my excuses. He was probably about to let me go without a ticket, but my inner Grammar Nazi kicked in and I explained why he meant to say "couldn't care less." I got the ticket. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 350
You deserved it 47 105

Same thing different taste

Top comments

beccaishereyay 11

Sometimes you just got to force it down. Sorry about the ticket.

Comments

Sometimes you just got to force it down. Sorry about the ticket.

Boygenius50 8

NO! Improper grammar is NEVER acceptable!

bigtaytay 13

And that's why OP got the ticket. People who care THAT much about grammar are tools

FMLoverAgain 7

OP had a grammar issue. The officer really meant he could care less about the excuse. OP made the officer feels like he couldn't care less and a ticket was called for.

Why are officers always mean grumy bitches? If ticketing grammar nazis were the law then everyone who actually pays attention in school will get a ticket because they know English.

You know, what most people don't realize is you don't actually speak in standard English (the thing all the grammar nazis die over) you tend to speak with an accent, and much less formal as well. Standard English is only expected when writing a paper, and while it is nice for a commenter to use it, it is in no way required.

TheDrifter 23

In this case, not only was op rude, he was incorrect. The officer COULD care less about his excuse, and his modicum of care was going to let op off with a warning. After the "correction" he couldn't care less and simply wrote the citation.

110- ah you were smart enough to realize the sarcasm :)

CaptainDoorknob 7

YDI solely for using the word "fuzz". What the **** are you a 1960's greaser?

Do you know what I say to Grammar Nazis? There, Their, They're

No the officer was wrong. "Could care less" doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It means you care at least the smallest amount of caring but we don't know how much that is do we? It makes sense if the officer said he couldn't care less about his OP's excuses because he saw him break the law so it doesn't matter what they are. Also the OP doesn't even know if he actually was not going to get the ticket "He was probably about to let me go".

But it doesn't make sense! You can't remove a word and expect it to have the same meaning! I could NOT care less. I could care less. See how the word "not" makes a difference. There is a difference between colloquialisms and using incorrect English. Also you are confusing accent with dialect.

IQWasJustLowered 0

It does annoy me when people say they could care less, then when I try to explain it to them they can't what's wrong!

beccaishereyay 11

Usually people get pissed off when you correct them, there have already been several FML's regarding something bad happening when people correct other peoples.

winnerme123 8

That what dose grammer nazis get

Nabee143 3

You get a ticket for saying "fuzz". Who says that?

Well, you know, obviously OP says that. Just a wild guess, though

expertsmilee 26

I walk up to the police in new york city, and I'm like excuse me officer I'm tryin' to find some weed

expertsmilee 26

It's a song brah, look up go cops by rucka rucka ali, dunno why I bothered knowing no one would get the reference.

Me too, 2. There are some places where you just don't do that, op. YDI.

fromthesuck 8

Grammar nazi vs traffic nazi... You shoulda known you wouldn't come out on top.

62- You may want to enclose song lyrics in quotation marks and name the song after the quote. If you really want to impress, put slashes after each line. Then there's no room for misinterpretation. If it makes you feel any better, I got the reference. :)

62 - and they're like shit so are we why don't you roll with me, we're gonna go 'round pulling over some minorities.

r_bruce69 19

Did you really say "brah"? I hope that's sarcasm or irony, I really do.

OP, there is something called a mouth filter. It will help you a lot the next time you want to piss off a cop.

fgwrxfiend 11

No I think target has them. Two for one sale

OP should be able to gold back his correcting. If not OP lacks self control.

113 - what? No one said anything about filtering the cop. I meant next time OP wants to be a smart ass he should really just shut up.

Wow, ok I'm sorry, but you're a idiot. YDI.

abceasyas123abc 12

In the spirit of this FML I have this to say: You're an* idiot..

Agreed, I think this is a perfect example of when the you deserved it button should be clicked.

22- you know it would be more helpful if you explained why. An is used before words starting with a vowel, some words starting with M also receive an in front of them, but only if when they are pronounced they make an e sound before them; basically look for words that sound like they start with a vowel. Also understand that English is always changing, and that in 30 years we may pronounce M differently and it may no longer receive the article an in front of it.

You are the reason why my username is what it is!! Maybe the officer was being unusually polite ;)

CalCommando 6

Pressed YDI because you called the police "fuzz."

87- Thumbed you down because you're a moron.

I know you realize that you should have just shut up, so, I'm not even going to say it. FYL, YDI.

I don't get why people say it like that. If you "could care less" then you could care less. That doesn't tell us anything about how much you care. It is kinda annoying.

Kefka91 15

Yeah, in all honesty I probably would've said something as well because the misuse of that phrase annoys the hell out of me.

No, you always be a brown nosing sweet talker if it's gonna save you a ticket. Duh.

KellyPeterson92 10

It definitely annoys me as well, but there's no way I would try to correct a cop that has pulled me over!

Well when you say "couldn't care less" it means you care so little that you cannot care any less. "Could care less" means you can care less than you actually are.

I don't get why people overanalyze stuff like that and give so much of a ****? Everyone KNOWS what they mean, even if they say it incorrectly

Nabee143 3

118 Well that was a whole lot of useless information. Wonk wonk!

Evilphatpandah 5

Red cars appear to move faster than other colors so they get pulled over a lot. Something to do with how humans perceive light.

Not everyone is going to have perfect grammar all the time, people need to learn this.

Comma splice! You should've used a semicolon; you need to learn that.

I did that on purpose to prove a point that not everyone is going to have perfect grammar.

abceasyas123abc 12

No you didn't, 15. Don't try to pull that off

Hiimhaileypotter 52

There are some times when you just have to learn not to open your mouth....

Nabee143 3

And the times which this rule does not apply are: 1. Eating 2. Drinking 3. Giving an awesome BJ to your man. 4. Giving an excuse to your boss why you're late for work, again. Any more reasons?? Hmm.... Got to think this out more. Feel free to add any suggestions you like. Lol