By kelly.duggan - 21/04/2014 04:03 - Canada - Carleton Place

Today, I went to get an ultrasound done. I texted my ex, who's the father, and told him how adorable its little feet are, and asked him why he didn't come. I got a reply with two words: "DNA test". FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 667
You deserved it 11 830

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well if that's what it takes to prove to him it's his, I'd say do it. It's hard being a single mom.

Well unless you gave him a reason to think otherwise, guy sounds pretty immature. If you can have sex you should know the consequences of it also

Comments

Condoms are only effective 94-97% of the time (different people say different percentages, but NO ONE says 100%). He could have been wearing one for all we know

Bigfabthetruth52 22

i really don't understand why dudes who are an ex to their potential baby mama can be so disrespectful and unsupportive. it being his or not he could show a little bit more of respect than that.

flame5768 14

women: i'm pregnant. ex: so? w: you're the dad. ex:so? w: get back to gether with me and help me raise it. ex:why should i? we broke up. even if it's mine why should I pay for it? YOU are the one pregnant. i'm not going to pay for something i don't want! that's like getting a free sample then having to pay for it. this is your problem. not mines. w: you're such a jerk! ex: then why'd you have sex with me? you see were i'm getting at?

PassiveAggresive 12

Asking for a DNA test isnt disrespectful. There must be some doubt, otherwise he wouldn't of asked. Did you ever try to think there might be a reason they're not together anymore? She could of cheated on him and just wanted him to be the father instead of a random one night stand.

Bigfabthetruth52 22

i understand that many things could of happened to make him feel some kind of way towards her.i was basing my comment on the information given to us and forgive me if i think that him saying simply dna test in response to her polite spark of a conversation was a little disrespectful.

PassiveAggresive 12

A simple "DNA test" text semi polite to me =) not harsh at all, just a simple statement.

#99, as they say, it takes two to tango.

Bigfabthetruth52 22

@#140,which lacks basic people skills.so responding simply "dna test" to what she said in her message,assuming for the sake of argument there isn't any extra motive of animosity for the boyfriend,wouldn't be rude way to speak with someone?im referring to the way we interact with one another.i mean he could of said something along the lines of"that's good that the kids doing fine and all but ive been feeling some kind of way about this situation i really dont feel like the kids mine and id like a dna test before i come out full fledged to support you".im just talking about the way he conveyed that message to her not necessarily the actual message.

Well, wait a minute. It seems like the father of the child isn't even convinced he is the father, yet you expect him to be present at the ultrasounds? Have you even discussed this whole thing with him? It doesn't look that way, the way your FML is worded.

kingdomgirl94 29

The problem is, DNA tests can only be safely done once the baby is born and then you have to pay for it and wait for the results.... in the mean time having no one to help cover the costs of getting things like the ultrasound done, checkups, prenatal meds, even the cost of going to the hospital to give birth. All this happens before the baby is born and if he won't take responsibility before then, then OP has to cover all the costs herself. Even after the baby is born, if he won't do anything until there's a test done, who will sign the birth certificate? What about all the other expenses until those results come? Its not a matter of just doing the test and setting his mind at ease, there's already a bunch of responsibilities before her kid is even born.

May be the father is kidding :) be positive

kingdomgirl94 29

There's also the fact that doing the paternity test that way rather than swabbing is more expensive , and chances are that he won't be paying for that until results come in either, or not at all if he decides to help from that point onward. Op has already had one ultrasound that he probably didn't pitch in for, and god knows what else.

kingdomgirl94 29

Also, is this research in development / research exclusive or is it already available to the masses? It doesn't sound like something you can go to your doctor and just request.

kingdomgirl94 29

In Canada a regular paternity test costs about 400$, god knows how much a prenatal paternity test would be. I understand the desire to know for certain, but maybe for the time being a little trust is required until they can prove it for sure, or at least an agreement that if it isn't his that he get his money returned.

Has there been a DNA test? His response sounds as if there has been and he isn't the daddy. If there hasn't been a test, get one.