By anonymous - 28/05/2013 00:56 - United States - Philadelphia

Today, I was working at a place where if you're tipped, you sing. After a lady paid for her ice cream, she pulled out 5 dollars. Thinking it was a tip, I took it, and sang the song. She didn't mean to tip me. I was stopped by the woman slapping me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 857
You deserved it 15 196

Same thing different taste

Top comments

XxXCrissyXxX 12

What do you mean by "took it"? Did you just snatch it from her, or did she hand it to you? That is the difference between fyl and ydi.

Comments

Dude, where do you work? I'd give a tip just to hear the song!

CharresBarkrey 15

I'm betting it's Coldstone Creamery.

I love that America has an icecream chain called Cold Stone Creamery. Here in Australia our icecream chain is called Cold Rock Ice-Creamery. The more you know...

It's even funnier when Singapore has both of them and I get confused all the time.

Kg317 18

This reminds me of this one part in A comedy central special where this guy is talking about how he went to this ice cream place and when he tipped them a dollar the whole staff sang

Aziz ansari, and he was talking about cold stone

Well, you learnt a tip about taking tips!

skehar 23

When it comes to tips, never assume. It makes an ass out of you and me!

I don't know why you got thumbed down. You are exactly right. I get madder than hell when someone assumes I'm leaving a tip. Or worse when I hand them a twenty dollar bill to pay for a $12 meal, and they ask..."Do you need change back?" that is the quickest way to get stiffed on a tip from me. don't assume, just serve as promptly as you can under the circumstances (which I for one do take into account when tipping) and be happy to receive anything extra that is given to you.TIPS, To Insure Prompt Service. Earn it, they aren't mandatory.

maimengming 10

58- Tips are extremely important, not just to a servers income, but to all people in the restaurant. Servers only make a little bit over two dollars because tips are supposed to make up the difference between that and minimum wage. Then the server has to give up a small part of their tip to other employees. Where I work, it's three percent of every tip. Not tipping is horribly rude and can actually be very damaging. Not tipping, especially if it's a slower night, could mean that the server takes home very little or nothing. And trust me, servers go through a lot. Just because you think you're getting bad service doesn't mean anything. Maybe your food is taking a while because the kitchen got backed up. Maybe she hasn't come to see you in a coupe minutes because she has seven other tables. You never know. But you should never *not* leave a tip.

So if you think everyone should leave tips regardless of the level of service they get, what's the incentive to be good at your job? Should do it the Australian way, restaurant workers get paid minimum wage and if they're crap at their job, they get fired, like pretty much every other industry.

maimengming 10

A good tip is 15%. If you have good service, leave that or more if you feel. But never leave without giving something. My sister has been given over a hundred dollars from one table before, and on an eighty dollar bill. I also know one server who has given a man back his receipt because he didn't fill out the tip line. It's a common saying that if you aren't going to tip, you shouldn't go out to eat. And trust me, if they're a bad server, they'll get fired. I just had a girl yesterday that I was training on food running, not even serving, that was surprised by how much there is to it.

Sorry, but if the service is bad I'm not leaving a tip. If my food comes out late or cold I understand it isn't the servers fault, but I still expect them to be attentive and explain if there is a delay. All I want is communication and the appearance of caring that I'm the customer, not necessarily perfect service that was out of their control. I don't feel bad not leaving a tip either since they chose their job just like I chose mine. They knew the pay when they applied or were hired and if they want to increase their income through tips, then show me you care that I'm your customer and make an attempt to make my visit pleasant. Again, I understand mishaps and I don't fault them for that AS LONG AS THEY COMMUNICATE.

maimengming 10

There have been times that, due to the managers mistake, the servers all have 13 tables. Don't say that you won't tip. They DO TRY to communicate. Sometimes THEY AREN'T ABLE TO AT THE EXACT MOMENT SOMETHING IS WRONG. They could be a college student. Have a child. Need to pay bills like everyone else. If you're not going to tip. Do NOT go out to eat. People not in food service don't get this.

I agree with 72 on this one! If I don't have an enjoyable experience and the server has been pretty shit I'm not leaving you money. I'm aware it's not big in the UK but having been bar staff and a waitress myself I know what it feels like to work your rear end off. Bearing in mind I never expected a tip and if offered one I'd always try and give it back because it's my job to be nice. I know in America it's a lot bigger and although it sounds harsh I'm not tipping you when I come over there just because you expect to be. In fact, I'm less likely to tip if you expect it because I find that rude.

chelsearenaeee 16

Tips are extremely important. Anyone not working in food service still most likely thumb me down but if a server was that bad, they'd get fired. Trust me when I say that servers do their damn best at waiting every single table they have. Be patient and tip your server.

@ 64. I said in parenthesis in my original post, that I do take into account the circumstances when tipping. Meaning, if the place is slammed full of patrons, I expect a longer wait on service and food. And I am alright with that. My main point was do not expect a tip from me. Don't ask do I need change, because that is arrogant, bring my change back and if you did your job right I will at least tip 20%. Wether or not I tip depends on your attitude. I had a waitress tell me that beers were on sale once, but when I got the bill, the beers were full price. When I brought it up to the manager the waitress stood there in front of me and him and blatantly lied because she had mistakenly told me that the beer was on sale. Why on earth would I leave her a tip? Her attitude told me she could care less about my satisfaction and rather than admitting that she told me wrong, she lied about it. I took every bit of her tip off of the table right there in front of both of them. On the other hand, I visited a new restaurant once, a Ruby Tuesday's for those of you who know what kind of place that is, and wife and I were the only two patrons in the building. Our waiter looked to be about 16. We waited over an hour for food, had to request refills due to the inattentiveness of our waiter and then to top it all off, we had to send our food back because it wasn't prepared the way we ordered it. The manager came by and apologized, wadded our bill up and told us it was on him and to have a good evening. The waiter saw this, came over and practically begged for forgiveness. Because of their attitude, I not only paid for the meal even after it was made complimentary, I also left a 50% tip and guaranteed them my business in the future. Just because they were humble and willing to admit fault. So if you want a tip, earn it by being honest and hard working. Don't just expect it because its customary. Don't use the fact that servers only make 2$ an hour and split tips to show that it is mandatory to tip regardless of service. Because I don't care what you make or don't make. You chose to work there. If you don't like the pay find another job, I can set you up with one right now making 23.61 an hour once you finish the school that THEY pay for.

maimengming 10

But you don't know the circumstances. If the server complained to you, you would say that it's bad service. If you were mostly paid off of customer service, you would understand. But most people aren't and don't care that it's the servers form of income.

maimengming 10

I'm extremely upset by all of this. If you feel like you got bad service, no, you don't need to leave a massive tip, but lat least eave a little bit. I see servers work their ass off everyday and hear, at least once a night, that someone who has been doing everything they could for a table didn't get tipped. It's rude, selfish, and arrogant to think that you're above someone because they're a server. I go places all the time, stores, fast food places, banks, ect. where the worker is TERRIBLE with customers, but they don't have to worry about their pay. So don't say that a server doesn't deserve to be tipped, because they have to put up with ARROGANT, MEAN CUSTOMERS EVERY DAY.

85, your argument is understandable to some degree but people don't tip in other customer service jobs so there should be no expectancy for me to tip staff who work in the food industry. If I go to a restaurant I don't feel I'm above the rest of the restaurant simply because I'm not a waitress (anymore I may add). I know how hard people have to work in restaurants and cafés and bars but I don't feel like I absolutely have to give them a tip because of the job they do, I will if I've been happy with their service (as in attitude, time does come into consideration if the restaurant is dead and it takes an age to bring food unless they state there's a problem). There are others in different jobs that most their absolute socks off but don't get anything extra for it.

maimengming 10

Except you have to remember that servers make 2 dollars an hour. All of their income comes from tips, since tax comes out of their paycheck. Not tipping them is making it so they aren't paid. In the US, it is a social expectation to pay. And they aren't the only people to get tips. Hair dressers, pizza deliverers, they all get tips. To NOT tip is saying that you don't care about their income. Doesn't matter what you think of their serviceN your keeping income from them, and that's cruel.

Also keep in mind, some people don't tip even though the waitress didn't do anything. I went to Applebee's with my dad and my sister a couple summers ago. We drove to Disney World (my dad lives in Tennessee) and when we were driving back, we stopped at an Applebee's in Georgia. Whenever my dad goes to Applebee's, he always gets their fajitas. We ordered and the manager of the restaurant came back apologizing because that chain had taken the fajitas off of their menu. Only about 13 restaurants did that. My dad wasn't happy. He started being rude saying, "well, that's the only thing I like here." and the manager was apologizing saying that she understood when you go somewhere expecting something and being excited about it. She was genuinely apologizing. At the end of the meal, my dad paid and decided that the waitress should "suffer for her company's mistake" (direct quote) and didn't tip her. I thought that was extremely rude and uncalled for. So, if someone doesn't tip, it could be because they're a big, giant jerk. I'm not even in the food industry and I think it's extremely important to tip your server.

I really just disagree with your philosophy here. There is no need to be so upset, we are all adults and can talk civilly, but give me a good reason, just one, that I should tip someone who doesn't care about my satisfaction. Because their income depends on it is not valid, because they chose to work at that pay. If someone doesn't seem interested in performing their duties to the best of their abilities, why should I give them any more of my hard earned money? I really think you are missing my point in general. I do tip 90% of the time, until someone gives me a reason not to. I can stand to be waited on by someone who is preoccupied with a cell phone, when they should be taking care of their customers. It is not like I won't tip ever. Only if someone gives me reason to believe, that they don't deserve my hard earned money, IE being arrogant, while I have been patient and understanding (which I always am) (I am a really laid back guy and nothing makes me mad really) Or talking on a cell phone. You are very wrong in the respect that if my customer complained to me about a job I did (i am an electrician) I would do everything I could, on my own time, to make it right. I'm not some jack ass who just looks for ways not to tip somebody, but when the service is most terrible, and I could care less why, I will not dispense of any more money than I have to. Maybe they will realize, oh shoot maybe I need to put my phone away, or maybe I need to smile and seem interested instead of looking like this is the last place I want to be. It is all in the attitude. Act interested and you will get a tip from me. Act like you could care less, and you wont, and if that hurts the server, oh well. Maybe they should have been more attentive. And if I can see that someone is under a heavy load, I don't hold that against them, but regardless of what is going on at home, if you are at work, go to work and leave your home life at home. I have to do it every day.

maimengming 10

The reason why you should is because you don't get a pay cut from your pay. I don't know one server who would ever intentionally give 'bad' service. They have just as much right to be paid as you do. And no, they don't choose that job. Most are college students. I'm a great example of this. My chosen field is in medicine, but I don't have a doctorate yet. I got the job I was able to get right now. I live in Michigan and it's very difficult to get jobs in my area. We take the job we can get. And in serving, just like any other job, you have great days and days where everything seems to go wrong. There's nothing the server can do. And even if you think you've gotten bad service, you can still leave a couple dollars. If it's less then a normal tip would be, they'll get the point that their service could have been better. Trust me. Leaving just a couple dollars is actually more affective at making that point then not tipping. Not tipping just comes off as your a jerk that's too selfish and stinging to leave a tip.

maimengming 10

What do to mean "there's nothing you can do" when everything seems to go wrong? Yes there is...APOLOGIZE! See, problem solved. Stop whining about your pay and recognize that nobody is obligated to tip. Most of us work hard for our money and are willing to tip generously when warranted. And yes, I was a server for a few years and never did not receive a tip because I'm capable of smiling even when stressed and frazzled. Customers understand when things are busy. I would always approach a table I may have inadvertently neglected and say "I'm so sorry I haven't been by your table for a while, let me refresh your drinks...etc. Doing that with sincerity always saved my tips. Maybe you should try it.

Never sing "lick it, lick it real good" around ice cream. Bad song choice.

Singing "Hit me with your best shot" is just asking for it!

Was she holding the $5 out, or did she just have it in her hand? If you snatched it out of her hand, of course she'd be mad.

Kimmy___888 8

You shouldn't have assumed like that. You should have actually waited for her to give it to you.