By cricketsins - 11/08/2013 07:28 - United States - Smyrna

Today, I was walking along the beach at night with my family. A huge wave came up and knocked me over. When we got to the van, I realized that the keys that had been in my pocket were now in the ocean. Our cell phones, shoes, and money were in the van. We had to walk three miles to our hotel. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 943
You deserved it 6 913

cricketsins tells us more.

OP here! Just to clarify: Waves knock people off their feet easily. We weren't lazy, we just didn't want to walk barefoot through a place covered with broken beer bottles and vomit. We couldn't break the window because the van had an alarm system, plus it was a nice van and we didn't want to harm it - especially if we were perfectly capable of walking to the hotel and dealing with it the next day.

Top comments

At least you didn't drown or something because all those things are replaceable, you are not.

Redoxx_fml 22

Comments

Landowner 8

you made it sound like a wave taller than yourself came out of no where. You definitely had to have seen it coming..

It's called a rogue wave. A single wave or wave set that's orders of magnitude larger than the others that are crashing on the beach. They have been known to snatch people from the beach and drag them into the sea. They are distinct from tsunamis. Look'em up.

If you were walking on the beach, and a wave still managed to knock you over, either that was a massive wave, or your balance sucks! I hope you were able to at least get into the van later on.

My balance does suck, but mostly it was a huge wave. When waves hit you like that, especially at night, the force of the wave pushes your feet out from under you.

I bet I would fall over too! My balance is terrible sometimes lol

Look on the bright side man, you lost your keys that sucks. The good news is you didn't lose your wallet, cell phone and other expensive/pain in the ass things to lose. I'd rather replace my keys than a new cell phone and wallet annny day

karen1991 15

Well, you could have broken a window and just got in the car...

Chewiebhz 15

Why didn't you break a window to get your cellphone and wallet?

This is a true FML. Life's a beach and natures her nasty cousin.

OP here! Just to clarify: Waves knock people off their feet easily. We weren't lazy, we just didn't want to walk barefoot through a place covered with broken beer bottles and vomit. We couldn't break the window because the van had an alarm system, plus it was a nice van and we didn't want to harm it - especially if we were perfectly capable of walking to the hotel and dealing with it the next day.

MidnightMusic53 37

Hey there, OP! Sorry about your misfortune. I keep my keys on a nice clip so I can just clip them to my belt loops. They're fairly cheap, find yourself a nice sturdy one, even if you're not wearing bottoms with belt loops, I'm sure there are other things you could clip it to. You'll never have a wave steal your keys again.

Heaven121313 9

If you were capable of walking to the hotel then why is this a FML?

#68: If I am ever at a beach again, I will do that for sure!

Generally, waves don't know people off their feet easily, as you said. Might want to work on your balance op.

lovemejazzy 8

#111, I'm at the beach right now and yes they do. Especially when the winds are at 15mph and the waves end up being very choppy.

waves definitely knock you off your feet easily. funny how people say they dont. those people probably havent been to the beach much if at all.

actually they do...they can be pretty intense!

#111 a tsunami is a wave are you saying you should work on your balance

Honestly, it's just three miles. Quit bitching. Call a locksmith.

Maybe you should read the comment that I posted previously. :)

1x1y 12

He said the cell phones were in the van...locked. Sheesh!

bobsonanna 4

You had to walk THREE WHOLE MILES? BREAK A WINDOW so you wouldn't have to walk 3 miles???? Americans are so weird...

hcollins1 18

If you had read OPs comment, you would've known that they did not want to break the window because it was a nice van and didn't want to break it, as well as they were all capable of walking the three miles. There's no harm in walking anyways. And I don't know about any of you but I'd much rather pay for replacement keys than paying for replacement keys AND a broken window. It's not like they were going to go anywhere unless they hot wired the van or found a place, depending on how late it was, to pay for keys.