By wannadi - 03/03/2013 09:29 - United States - Camden

Today, I was told by co-workers with whom I have worked for 2 years that I tan too much and dye my hair black too often. I'm from the Middle East and have never tanned nor dyed my hair. My co-workers think I'm a wannabe. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 644
You deserved it 2 845

Same thing different taste

Top comments

crazytwinsmom 25

North Carolina is not very culturally diverse I guess.

Comments

I guess the dumb assess didn't recognize your race without the burka. "You're from the middle east? But... But... We can see your face!"

BTW, OP, why did you say, "with whom I have worked with?" Seems redundant, no?

I don't think so. Proper grammar would be "with whom I have worked for 2 years..." Or perhaps even "coworkers whom I have worked with..." Or would it be "'who' I have worked with?" I'm not sure about that, but I am sure there's no need to use the word "with" twice in that sentence.

CharresBarkrey 15

47 - It's whom. But there is no second "with," in the FML so I don't know where you got that from.

It used to say, "my coworkers with whom I have worked with for 2 years." The mods must have corrected the error and left my thread hanging to look like nonsensical grammar Nazi bull shit.

CharresBarkrey 15

So... The FML team fixed the grammar error in the post and then deleted our comments? Cool.

luvmaboo 7

Not everyone from the middle east wears a burka! And not everyone from the middle east is muslim.

Don't even give it a second's thought, Op. This is their issue they are dealing with, not yours. Let them wallow in ignorance, as long as You are comfortable with your appearance, what they think is irrelevent. :)

They're just jealous cause they don't have a natural year round tan like you do. I'm Mexican so I feel you.

Persian people problems.. It's okay that's been happening to me too. -.-

angelofmusic113 9

Some people are just plain stupid...

I always have people telling me I need to spend more time in the sun. I have Lupus, ergo photophobia. The sun makes me crazy sick, but no, I need to be tan in order to be healthy, apparently. Wish people would mind their own stupid business.

I get people telling me the same, I get 2nd degree burns from being in the sun for over an hour...

Pretty much what happens to me. Twenty minutes in the sun equals crazy purple face rash and fever. And they act like I'm crazy for wearing long sleeves and a hat in the summer. (I specifically bought sun-resistant long-sleeved summer clothes). Or then they tell me I'll die because I don't get enough vitamin D. Because my doctors didn't think of that one, MORONS. Ugh.

People overuse that word so much these days, and it's a shame, because when people throw around accusations of racism arbitrarily it trivializes the issue. People also confuse racism with racial prejudice a lot, which is not the same thing. Racism is hatred towards a certain race, whereas racial prejudice is just a preconceived notion about a certain race. For example, if I had a preconceived notion that all Asians are smart, that would make me prejudiced when it comes to Asians, but it doesn't necessarily mean I hate them, so I therefore wouldn't necessarily be racist. In this case, it seems to me that these people are just bad at recognizing people from the middle east. That doesn't necessarily mean they hate people from the middle east. Now, if they made threats on her life or cruelly harassed her because of her race in some other way, then yes, they world be racist.

this is not racism, just stupidity.

That's a dangerous question...some of the dumbest ones might perceive it as a challenge.