By meltingturtle - 02/08/2016 03:25

Today, I was talking with my girlfriend. We both have family issues, so we'd agreed to open up to each other today. Turns out I'm dating my cousin. FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 179
You deserved it 1 876

meltingturtle tells us more.

OP here. Here's your follow up. My mom and her brother had a rocky relationship. She moved to the west coast some twenty years ago, and never talks about my uncle. I know of him, but never met him due to problems between them. I moved out of state for college, and met my girlfriend there. I'd only been told I had a cousin once, pretty much in passing. My gf and I were both talking, and she mentioned how her dad, named David, was bipolar and had several issues. I asked if she had any aunts or anything cause that sounded a hell of a lot like my estranged uncle my mom hardly talks about. She was all, 'yeah, but my dad never talks about her. Her name is Emily or something I think?' And I was like 'o shit that's my mom'. It was super awkward. I'd known my uncle had a daughter, and she knew her aunt had two. Thing is, I'm a trans boy who goes by a completely name, so we never really figured it out until now. Hope it makes more sense to y'all now.

Top comments

Hey, at least you have a lot in common with each other!

Comments

PANDORUM89 21

I'm not sure why the related through blood comment was downvoted. They ARE related by blood. From what I understand, based on the OPs text, OPs Mom is Emily. Had OP. Emily has a Brother named David. David and Emily have at least one common parent (assuming one isn't adopted) David had OPs GF. Therefore OP and his gf share the same grandparents. Idk about y'all but even in animals that's considered inbreeding or a very close line breeding. I'm not judging, do whoever you want, as long as both consent, but just want to point out that you do share blood.

OP said in another response they're adopted

PANDORUM89 21

Also, even if you did want to procreate, the odds of producing a child that has a disorder would be rare, basically the same whether you had a child with someone completely unrelated to you. In some ways procreating with a person that is closer related to you, if you are both shining examples of athleticism or intelligence, could create a child that is capable of surpassing your own talents. How do you think people get outstanding horses? Humans aren't any different. So I'd ignore anyone saying you would get a messed up baby.

OP is a trans boy, so no procreation, and OP was adopted, so no blood relation.

77, op said in another reply that he's adopted

I didnt meet my cousins from my Dads side until I was 13. I am 21 now and am STILL meeting them as we find out about more family members through adoption records. Some of them are in their mid forties. I also just found out (a year after my dads death) that I have a sister who was adopted out 15 years before I was born from his previous relationship. This is a very common occurrence, and if OP is like me, they might not have realized how crazy their family truely is.

It is legal in 19 states to marry your first cousin. I believe 2nd cousin marriage is legal in every state. First cousins typically have enough genetic diversity to avoid most problems - especially if the families include step siblings and other extended relations, which may be the case here.

The US absolutely has civil unions in some states - however, they are not the same as marriages.

You said you're not related by blood, so WHO CARES?