By FUUUUCK - 11/02/2014 20:00 - United Kingdom

Today, I was Skyping with a guy I'm really into. I'm not supposed to Skype at night, so when I heard my mum coming, I minimized the window. She walked in before I could mute my mic and started bitching me out for flushing my tampons down the toilet. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 445
You deserved it 26 047

Same thing different taste

Top comments

YDI - why would you flush them down the toilet? That's stupid and bad in so many ways.

Few things make me laugh. Kids trying to go behind their parents' backs and getting embarrassed in the process is one of them.

Comments

Where are you supposed to put your tampons? I'm sure your mom would yell at you if you left them in the trash too. >____>

Ari1337 15

well I usually just get 2 little plastic bags. keep them my room till my period is done then throw them out. maybe O.P could do something like that.

You dispose of them properly, in the trash, like a grown up.

Why would she do that? You just wrap them in something like a bit of tissue or toilet paper and throw them in the trash. I typically wrap it up in its wrapper first, then toilet paper on the outside.

45, you keep them in your bedroom? Those smells should not be in there :< wrap it in tissue and put it in the bathroom bin (hopefully one with a lid!) as bathrooms are well ventilated for a reason ;)

Alright now tell us the lesson to be learned here

kellyem2 20

As embarrassing as that is, it's really bad for your plumbing to flush tampons and pads. You could have cost your family thousands of dollars (pounds) in damage, especially if you've been doing that for a long time.

It had to be that subject...well I think he may understand...

TcheQ 12

Totally deserved it. You do two wrong things and want sympathy? ******* disgusting.

Lydiaanninos 5

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
PierceTheSquidgy 8

Lesson here is don't be doing anything you're not supposed to do or it'll bite you in the butt..

So I just checked a box of tampons (someone had to lol) and the only thing it says not to flush is the applicator. In fact, it says the tampon can either be flushed or thrown in the trash. Obviously smaller toilets and septic tank systems are more likely to have issues with flushed tampons, but for the rest of us, we should be good to go. I'm in the states btw, so maybe it's different over here.

No I'm in Canada and the instructions are the same

I can't believe everyone saying it's bad to flush them. Yes if you live in a very old home but I threw mine in the trash when I was younger and people thought I was weird and even my doctor said flush them it's gross and unsanitary to keep them in the garbage.

uh, garbage can be gross and unsanitary in general, so how is putting a tampon or pad in the garbage any different? and any time i have seen a tampon in any sort of water, it absorbs so much of it that it becomes a ridiculously fat tampon. most pipes wouldnt handle something that doesnt break down easily.

Because I'm weird and extremely bored, I just went to the store and checked a few more boxes of 3 or 4 other brands and NONE of the directions say to refrain from flushing. Not a single freaking one. Did a bit of research on the interwebz and found that yeah, depending on your toilet and system, it may not be the world's greatest idea to flush em... however it's not always as bad as it's hyped up to be. Women have been flushing them for YEARS and only a fraction have ever had serious issues as a result.