By axon Impulse - 06/07/2017 22:10

Today, I was fired. For no reason, at all. Literally. And it's totally legal. Thanks to my state being an "at will" employment state. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 980
You deserved it 906

axon Impulse tells us more.

axon Impulse 9

OP, here. To clarify, there honestly was no reason for my dismissal. I did not sign anything, I had absolutely NO disciplinary actions against me, I did very well for the company (my position actually made money), and there was no "glaring personality flaw" (though, for me to insist that, I recognize the irony in not acknowledging my shortcomings, but I also have taken a true, objective stand back and reflected on this, and I am at a total loss as to what happened). Towards the end, the CEO and I we're not exactly seeing eye-to-eye, but I was not insubordinate and the company owners loved me. When I asked for a reason, I was told there was no reason, and even the paperwork submitted to the unemployment office stated there was no reason. So, in short, There. Was. No. Reason. This has been very difficult for me to wrap my head around and it has been hard trying to pick up the pieces. I honestly reflect every single day on what I did and what I can learn from this and how I can improve and move on. I have not had any closure and I have done my best to accept this and move forward with confidence. Thanks for the support from most of you, but also thanks for the reality slap from the rest of you. It reminds me that world may be cruel, but that I will still strive to be the best that I can be despite how others try to tear me down. I hope no one else has to experience this. Take care, FML family.

Top comments

There had to be a reason. It's inconvenient to hire and train a new person so if you're doing well, why fire you? Either you aren't doing well enough, you've rubbed someone the wrong way, or they simply don't need you any more and it'd be a waste of money keeping you round.

All 50 US states are employment-at-will states, unless you're covered by a collective bargaining agreement or some other contract (in writing, or, in a few states, implied). For example, if you are part of a unionized labor force and your collective bargaining agreement requires just cause or adjudication of disputes, that's an exception to the at-will employment rule.

Comments

FreakingAzn 0

did this happen in nyc by any chance??

damn. don't letbit eat you up though. If they stated there's no reason to the unemployment office it's either they don't want to tell you for fear of backlash (discrimination, drama , or they like you, but you have a flaw they don't want to tell you about) it could also be something as simple as they think that they can get someone else to do it for less money. Either way, just let it go. remember if you have any official papers stating that it was for no reason, bring them with you to inerviews. on apps for reason dismissal put "will explain". hopefully you got a severance package