By Anonymous - 25/10/2012 20:13 - United States

Today, I was fired for actively seeking employment with another company. Because of having just been fired, the other company will no longer give me the time of day. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 188
You deserved it 4 574

Same thing different taste

Top comments

The only way they could have found out that you were looking for another job is if you A) mentioned it or B) used your current boss as a reference. In either case, you're an idiot.

Psych101 9

And also well established means of producing a regular income to support oneself and possibly family. You got the main points though.

Comments

You can't blame the new company. How do they know you won't do the same to them when they hire you?

perdix 29

The ol' Catch-22. The only way to get a job is to have a job. If you're going to be sneaky at work, be good at being sneaky ;)

If a company knows you're thinking about jumping ship, their best interest is to replace you with someone wanting that position. Seems unfair but that's just the way it is. Should have kept things on the DL!

Yeah, let's allow corporations to treat us like nothing but commodities. I'm so looking forward to corporate feudalism.

Psych101 9

I'm curious about how OP worded this. Is there a way to passively look for a new job?

CharresBarkrey 15

The term "actively seeking employment" generally means searching within the last month, or recently. As opposed to applying for a job every once in a while even though you're still employed.

I use to keep my resume active on certain sites and the recruiters I have worked with always called me if a match came up. In most cases, I wasn't interested in leaving my currently held position, but I always figured it never hurt to hear people out. Of course, the sites I left my résumé active on blocked my personal info until the potential player reached out to the site to be put in touch with me. So I guess that is a way of passively looking.

That's the price you pay when your boss finds out you're looking for another job when you already have one. Sorry OP.

That's stupid. Just try looking again! Good luck, especially in this economy. :)

gmc_blossom 21

63- Oh really? Where do you get your facts from?

63: Really? I'm guessing you haven't started the Great American Job Hunt yet. I graduated college in May, got my Registered Nurse license in June and STILL haven't landed a job. I'm not unemployed due to my resume, skills or intelligence, but a lack of experience. Believe it or not, there's MANY well-educated people, goodness just people willing to work hard, who bust their butts everyday looking for ANY job that can lead to professional growth. . . Sorry to go off on a rant, but it's ridiculous how some people (not necessarily you 63) assume a person is unemployed due to lack of effort, smarts or education.

That's awful, I thought companies promote career advancement??

Career advancement is getting promoted, not switching companies.

Yes true but I meant by the other company he was actively trying to get hired at.

Psych101 9

32- Companies generally promote career advancement for people that are currently employed by them. OP is currently employed by neither.

And now it's 9:34 a.m...in China. So what's your point?

Thanks for telling us the time... But what does that have to do with the FML?

flockz 19

Day 37: i have been on FML for weeks now. funny comments seemed to have completely disappeared. i have nothing but nutella and raisins left. there is no sign of life. wait. i see... yes i see a commenter now! first person i've seen in two days. wait a sec. is he? he's walking around mumbling the time..... the virus is worse than we hoped.... i don't know how long i can las- guys it's 11:41 P.M.

CharresBarkrey 15

26 is referring to the last line of the FML where it says the other company will no longer give them the time of day.

purplepenquin 9

If that was the reason given for your dismissal then you can file for unemployment.