By Anonymous - 27/07/2013 17:51 - Finland

Today, I was babysitting a kid for the first time. She asked if she could watch a movie, so I downloaded Cinderella for her. An hour later, this 10-year-old girl was lecturing me about unrealistic standards of beauty and abusive relationships, and how I suck for liking the movie. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 065
You deserved it 8 771

Same thing different taste

Top comments

How is cinderella unrealistic? She drives a pumpkin seems perfectly realistic to me

17, So she can't have a personal opinion that is "correct" unless it follows your opinion? Hell at 10 years old I think it pretty smart she can comprehend that.

Comments

Sounds like the 10 yo has a more mature social conscience that you do, OP. Shame on you for reinforcing 1950's based cultural stereotypes....

This is not right either... If the kid is using her brains, she can watch all kinds if things, and talk about her feelings afterwards... Repression is never a good thing....

imonkeyface 9

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Not Disney movies: Just Disney's version of Cinderella. In the Brothers Grimm's' story of Cinderella, her step-sisters are equally as beautiful as her, there are 3 balls instead of just 1, birds help her instead of a fairy God mother, she walks to the ball, she loses a golden slipper, and her step-sisters cut off part of their feet in order to fit into the gold slipper. These are just a few differences from the Brothers Grimm's version, not even considering cultural differences in different countries.

flashback.miss 28

Exactly! And in The Brother Grimm version of Goldilocks, the bears torture and kill her. Disney really skewed the real stories into something girly, cute and boring. Except for Mulan, the Disney Princesses/Girls are generic and do actually spread a false image. I for one will never understand why Cinderella after the ball is somehow prettier than she was before just with fancy items.

I've never liked them personally! I always thought it was just really unrealistic and boring

@55: Beauty and the Beast is pretty good, too. It takes them possibly months or years to fall in love, and, while she is pretty, she isn't over-the-top, and she cares about things besides finding the perfect man.

Very true. And The Princess and the Frog is a good one, too.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Goldfish are very stupid animals, with a memory span of just 5 seconds. It takes only 4.5 seconds to read this question. Could a goldfish answer this question?

A goldfish wouldn't be able to watch the movie. Or remember it to complain about it.

graceinsheepwear 33

45, as someone who has raised goldfish, that is a misperception. I have known goldfish to remember a trigger at least a day later. Also, goldfish on the whole hate answering questions.

Kudos if she thought that up herself. Most likely-- she's just good at parroting at a young age.

traumtzd 16

^ This. A thousand times this. I hate when kids act all smart, but actually they are just parrots, then the crowd of silly adults jump clapping.

Smart kid, Disney movies have unrealistic lessons and perceptions of woman and what they should be like or do for a man.

Kids these days! They can't even appreciate Disney :/

Yeah! How dare they not share your likes and dislikes! Grumble grumble grumble no faith in this generation grumble...

Wizardo 33

Well its clear she has a strong, perceptive mind and she already has advanced morals and political and gender views, this kid for president!

colvindj 22

Well you gotta give her credit, she knows what she's talking about..kinda

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
lastday27 10

Those standards may be unrealistic but it is healthy to think about 'what if'