By Cougar - 24/07/2009 19:05 - United States

Today, I was at work when my mother called. She gave me great news that she had finally cleaned out my room and all those "old and useless" books that I had in there. Those "useless" books that she had just trashed were all antiques and worth about $500 each. There were 27 books in there. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 714
You deserved it 5 209

Same thing different taste

Top comments

FYL :( Make her pay you the $13,500 :P

ouch. that's $13,500 you just lost. You have my sincerest condolences. that really does suck.

Comments

Vulpus 0

Unless the trash collectors came sometime between the act and the call, just go get them out of the trash. Maybe a couple got a bit of food on it, most are probably fine.

DACouture 0

Ya at 27 those should have been long at your place.

maby she does but her mom is supper OCD!!!

...So you take them out of the trash, idiot.

wow yeah a shakespear original book would be only 500 dollars dumbass!

As someone who has been collecting old/antique books for years I have to say that the above comments about value are true. VERY VERY few old books have any real value. Most of them are worth less then modern reprints of the same story, which is how I actually got into collecting them to begin with. (wanting to read the story, but not having the money for a new copy) If the book was actually worth anything it wouldn't have a set value. It would be more of an "At auction this could go for $500 or more" type of thing, or a "last time one of these sold it was for $750." It wouldn't have a set value. Also he/she wouldn't have 27 of them. This person was duped into believing these books were worth more then they are. If you walk into any antique store you can get old books for a few books, or even a few pennies! I've been in some that literally give the books away. Unless it is REALLLLLLLLLLY old, or a very very rare first edition they are pretty much worth nothing. And in either case if it was valuable the OP wouldn't have 27 of them. It does suck that the mom threw away stuff. My mom used to do that and it drove me INSANE! But chances are the books were actually worthless anyway.

Okay, I gotta say this: She NEVER, not ONCE, said that she had 27 copies of the same book.

JournalKeeper 0

kill her she shouldn't have been in your room in the first place. like what i told my mom whenever she go in my room only touch the fishbowl and the remote and that's it

Why do you have $13,500 worth of books but still live with your mother?

DeadMansCrack 4

Wow, Cougar. People magazines with Zac Efron don't count as "antiques". Just kidding. Start tampering with your mom's medication. I bet then she won't be living with you anymore.

XRiseToFallAgain 0

$13,500? ****, I feel bad for you.