By thanks, my fellow americans - 18/04/2013 21:41 - United States - Woodlyn

Today, I was again turned down by a potential host family on a student exchange site. Their reasoning was basically that since I'm American, I might do something to endanger my health, get hurt, and then sue them over my own stupidity. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 686
You deserved it 13 638

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

That is a great summation for what the rest of the world really thinks of America.

Hey, there is a reason a large portion of Americans pretend to be Canadian when they go to European countries. Just sayin'

daydreamer244 13

Then why are they even a host family...?

kyu_Q 19

Uhhhh,,.... Because Americans are not the only students that study overseas?

I think she means that if they're so picky and prejudiced, then they shouldn't even bother.

#131 - what's up with the two commas after "Uhh"?

SkateboardGirl88 11

Sounds like something us Americans would do...

You have to admit the honesty of the host family and the fact that their concerns are not totally unfounded. It hurts when you are stereotyped, doesn't it? Well, maybe now at least one less American would think that all Muslims are terrorists, all Indians are IT workers, all Asians eat live food, all Europeans are crazy, all Canadians are dumb and cocaine is cheaper than water in south America.

Believe it or not, most Americans I know don't think that way. I'm only speaking on the behalf of my state.

Because stereotyping all Americans as people who stereotype people those ways is not stereotyping....

80, you must not know many exchange students. I've worked with exchange students from the USA and from all over the world and they are way less likely to put any stock in stereotypes than the general population (and that's pre-exchange, not post).

needsagf14 12

Can you blame them these days?

SkateboardGirl88 11

Well, you guys are known for suing over the tiniest things...