By Anonymous - 30/09/2013 23:54 - United Kingdom - Bathgate

Today, I walked into the kitchen to find my daughter trying to cut her wrist with a plastic spoon. When I asked her why, she said her friend Lucy did that so her parents would buy her pretty things. My daughter and Lucy are both four years old. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 165
You deserved it 3 758

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I had no idea kids this young self-harm! It's very disturbing. OP please get your daughter some help quickly. Good luck!

Society is ****** up. Kids should never have to think like that. Don't let your daughter play with that girl anymore and make sure her parents are told to get their shit together.

Comments

katie_xoxo3 16

I actually think this is the funniest comment ever

Destructive friendship at the age though... Your daughter needs help, and Lucy too... Bring that to her parents' attention too...

150493x 29

It's actually scary what young children can pick up. Hopefully talking to her will make her see that doing this isn't going to get her what she wants.

What has this world come too? Kids shouldn't be this spoiled. OP you need to teach your kid how to deal with these types of situations

TyT63 12

I don't think you can even cut someone with a plastic spoon, atleast she didn't use a knife

HisHarleyQuinn 14

Yes, because the point of the FML was that she didn't succeed in harming herself. No, it's the thought behind it. If all the parents do is laugh it off because no harm was done, there is the chance that she will try again with something other than a plastic spoon. And then she might actually hurt herself.

Like the poster above me, it isn't about weather she succeed or not but that she tried to hurt herself. I have accidentally cut myself with the "soft" side of a plastic knife so technically if she used enough strength, she probably could but with the spoon.

RedPillSucks 31

Sometimes psychiatrists say to "ignore bad behavior". Not saying whether it's the right thing to do or not, but I wonder if the child didn't get any result from this if that would be sufficient, since she's so young. Just throwing that out there for discussion. Not saying there's anything wrong with talking to her about it, though.

Otaku31 19

A friend of mine has a cousin who used to hold her breath and make herself pass out if she didn't get her way. Her family thought it was adorable. -_-

My neighbor's daughter used to do the same. Except the mom would run to shove her face in the cold water of the shower. Yeah, my mom made me stay the hell away from that household.

XxxT3rr4xxX 25

canIt has been scientifically proven that you can't kill yourself from holding your breath you ultimately just pass out as you stated, though I would get that child checked with a psychiatric evaluation just to be on the safe side. Who knows it could be a couping mechanism

My brother used to do that when he was little. My dad just let him. He'd do it til he passed out. After a couple times he realized it wouldn't get him What he wanted so he stopped doing it. Some things kids have to learn on their own. Cutting however, that's not something to mess with.

It's messed up how little kids are getting more screwed up nowadays. My little 8 year old sister would threaten to kill herself (when she was like 4-5). I don't even remember knowing that you could kill yourself until I was like 10 maybe. Not 4 or 5...

I used to tell my parents that I was going to kill myself when I was like 5 or 6 (not in a threatening way). Honestly though, I don't think most kids know what they're saying. I sure didn't. It was just something I said and my parents weren't really bothered by it too much. I'm 20 now and still alive so yeah....kids just say things that they couldn't possibly understand the meaning of because kids are weird.

DedicatedNova 13

Does plastic hurt!? That's also beyond stupid.

This is one of the few FMLs which is not funny in anyway. It’s just terribly said that a girl that young would harm herself in order to get some pretty things. She shouldn’t see her friend again.

I wouldn't go so far as to prevent them from seeing each other. They're 4 years old chances are they don't even know that what they're doing looks like they're trying to slit their wrists, it probably doesn't even register with them so honestly, the parents just need to tell their kids not to do that and it should all be good.

Yes but the op can't do anything about Lucy. It's not his child, so if the parents reward this behavior their child needs to be kept away from her or else she will keep learning bad behaviors.

What kind of pretty things does Lucy want? Diamonds?

Whenever i hear the same Lucy, i always think of the Beatles song! :P