By IMSERIOUS - 22/01/2014 19:23 - United States - Anaheim

Today, I told my parents I was thinking about joining the army. They looked at each other and laughed for about 10 minutes straight. I wasn't joking. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 989
You deserved it 5 811

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Maybe they were laughing to hide their worries?

Thinking and doing are two different things. Show them what you're really made of!

Comments

courtjester86 8

I joined the Navy behind my parents back! I am not a child and neither are you, so if they are to act like that, I suggest the same!

Oh the irony...surely being adult would be calmly but firmly explaining your intentions and hearing out their objections even if you have to ultimately tell them you've decided to go anyway? Joining behind their back on the other hand is pretty childish. Still brave, but still childish.

honestly though you can't say the parents in this case are acting like adults plus that's the navy

Pstraka6 20

The army is no joke brother! Follow your dreams and make them look back and laugh at themselves for mocking you!

Don't just go to "show up your parents." Go because that it is truly what you want to do with your life and you are committed. And if you're just thinking research the branches. And if you're not in shape and wanna take it easy Air Force all the way (they let you go to the movies in boot camp, ask a Marine how there boot camp was lol)

iammeorami 25

That just made me think of a fat guy flying a fighter jet

29, PLEASE tell me that was a joke about the Air Force, and you weren't trying to start the Branch Wars haha.

JMichael 25

Either they're trying to hide their worry or they're rude and don't think you can do it. At any rate I wish you the best of luck OP.

SuckMeBeautifu1 24

**** them. If you know its what you want to live for, go for it. Make sure though, you may be leaving everything else behind. Good on you for being brave enough to do what most people arent willing to do.

You want respect OP? Join the marines instead. You'll get it

My brothers did the same when I told them I was joining the Navy. It's okay, just prove 'em wrong;)

skyeyez9 24

Is it because until now, you had no interest in physical exercise? I would prob laugh if my brother in law said the same. Because he has not willingly ever went outside, hates exercise and any activity besides playing xbox. He also leaves old food laying in his room cause he is too lazy to throw it away.

Axel5238 29

Agreed, some people also don't handle pain and/or stress well and if they haven't ever competed in a sport /exercise of some sort at least(even with those that have) the idea of them going is kinda unrealistic.

Hopefully they will finally believe you and agree with your decision. I applied yesterday, cant wait for the phone call