By Anonymous - 18/12/2012 07:48 - United States

Today, I saw a man in an army uniform. As a bit of a patriot, I went up to thank him for his service. After about 10 minutes of me going on and on, he started laughing. He wasn't a soldier. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 558
You deserved it 29 912

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I think 10 minutes was a little excessive, regardless of whether or not he was a soldier.

perdix 29

Are you a stutterer? How long does it take to say, "Thank you for your service?" It's easy to confuse work uniforms with military ones. The paper hat and the stench of rancid fry grease should have tipped you off.

Comments

CestLaGuerre 3

Driving while using your phone? Is yelling at someone over the internet of that much worth to you to endanger others while driving? Spouses deserve respect for all that they endure throughout their husband's/wife's service. Do not put down someone else. You should be ashamed of yourself for putting your rudeness above others' lives by using your phone while driving.

I say it was worth a shot. People who do serve deserve our respect... just not for 10 minutes.

skyeyez9 24

What a piece of shit wearing a military uniform and he never served!

skyeyez9 24

There was a man who had a son in the same gymnastics class as my daughter. He would come in wearing an army uniform, unit patches, nametape, Combat infantry badge, special forces, ranger tab, sapper, and lieutenant colonel rank. I asked him what unit he was in since i recognized the unit badge on his shoulder and rank was the same as my husband.....he said "well, I'm in the 8th combat unit. We go and fight in covert operations." So I pointed him out as a piece of shit fraud. He left and hasn't been back.

If I were a solider, I'd be really annoyed if a stranger kept going on and on like that to me.

10 minutes of talk from a total stranger would be annoying even if he had been a soldier. It takes about 10 seconds to say, "Thank you for your service." Anything more than that is just making a nuisance of yourself.

OP YDI, real solider or not, taking up 10 minutes of their time because you felt the need to interrupt their day is ridiculous. If you feel the need, and from real military people's replies they wish you didn't; just say thank you for your service and go about your business. My brother-in-law is a Marine and he hates when people feel the need to thank him. His service is not about you at all. It's awkward and he doesn't want to bothered by random people.

Some women like SS make me sick. You act all high and mighty just because you married a soldier. So what? Last I checked, the constitution doesn't grant titles of nobility, so stop acting like you're the queen of the whole goddamn Internet. And you're leeching off his status just to sound cool? How very un-classy. You say your hobbies are sewing and soap making, well no wonder you had a 4.0, home-ec degrees are pretty easy..... I bet she can make epic sandwiches though…

I don't see how they "deserved it" if the guy they were thanking wasn't actually a soldier but just being an impersonating tool. Yes, 10 minutes of carrying on is excessive, yet (personally I'd have reported the tool who was faking being a soldier)