By emogurl - 22/07/2009 05:47 - United States

Today, I returned from a month-long stay in a psych ward for severe depression and suicide attempts. The first words my friends say to me when I call them and let them know I'm out? "Does this mean you're not gonna be so emo? 'cause that was really annoying." FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 908
You deserved it 28 188

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You mean "ex-friends", right? Tell them it's their fault you were in there. Bastards.

I am so sorry and I hope that now you are ok and on the road back to recovery. It annoys the hell out of me that when anybody shows any kind of emoiton they are considered emo, it's as if showing any sign of sadness, depression or any other emotion like that is wrong, its not it is an emotion and if not shown it can lead to dangerous circumstances and situations The next person who say "OMG I was so emo I cried today" I am going to SCREAM !!!

Comments

As someone with a degree in psychology, and someone who has personal experience with clinical depression, I have to say that I'm disappointed there's so much misinformation and prejudice being displayed here. First of all, depression is an illness. You can't just "snap out of it." It's not the same as when you have a bad day and feel bummed, so if you've never been depressed, don't assume that you know what it's like or that you can speak with any authority about it. Imagine day after day, waking up and wishing you hadn't because simply being awake and conscious hurts, where none of the things you used to enjoy make you happy anymore, when even the simplest things are so difficult that you feel like you're constantly drowning. AND YOU DON'T KNOW WHY. All you know is that something is seriously wrong - which brings me to my second point. There is no one "reason" or trigger for depression that is the same for everybody. Some people become depressed after a difficult period in their lives, some don't. This has nothing to do with "being strong" or "tough" or "sucking it up." It's a predisposition that you are likely born with, and that you have no control over. And realize that it's impossible to tell how a person feels when you're standing on the outside - maybe YOU don't see any reason for that person to feel depressed, but it's not always going to be externally visible. And in fact, that makes perfect sense - external reasons for sadness are easier to deal with, because they are just that - they're EXTERNAL to you, and they don't make you who you are or define you. There are things you can do to solve those problems or to distance yourself from them. When your depression manifests in the belief that you're utterly worthless, that you're nobody and completely disposable, that YOU are the problem, how are you going to solve that?! Lastly, this "people with REAL depression suffer in silence" bullshit - NO. Everyone's different. Some people, believe it or not, reach out to the people who care about them for help when something's wrong. If you can't count on your friends when you feel like you're falling to pieces, then what the hell are your friends good for??? Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), OP is learning who her real friends are. Depression has been around far longer than the emo scene, and it's really unfortunate that people are now equating being emo with being depressed. Ask yourself this - if they were really the same thing, then why does depression affect people of all ages? People who couldn't possibly have anything to do with emo. Even children - kids as young as four or five years old - have been found to be depressed and suicidal. Are you going to tell me that a preschooler who tries to kill himself was just looking for attention? In fact, childhood depression is a problem that's psychologists are just starting to recognize the extent of - precisely because of the above misconceptions, people have refused to believe that children could become ill to the point of suicide, and the vast majority of these attempted or successful suicides were written off as "accidents." PARENTS AREN'T GETTING HELP FOR THEIR KIDS PRECISELY BECAUSE OF THE ABOVE MISCONCEPTIONS. I hope maybe some people will read this and take a more careful look at what they're saying. Depression is a very real problem, and you are only adding to it by spreading your prejudice and misinformation.

You're amazing. I'm glad you decided to do this. What I was going to say is not even close to being as good as your comment.

You could just be saying you have a degree, the retards here will believe anything. Whatever, it's irrelevant. The point I and everyone else being an asshole on here is that OP isn't really depressed and is instead a whiny emo bitch.

Whether she's faking or not, it's not "emo" it's called depression. Emo is a genre of music and a fashion statement. You can be "emo" and perfectly happy. You can be depressed and preppy. I only know two people with depression that dress "emo" unlike the dozens of others I know that are normal people. So read a dictionary and stop being so uneducated and insensitive. Depression is serious.

XDNLxtlz99 0

And the ******* **** do you know that? How about you get all your facts straight before you talk shit.

You missed the point entirely. OP is not depressed, that's my point. The definition of emo cab wait. Would you prefer I say "OP is a whiny attention seeking bitch"? And I was referring to emo, the youth CULTURE, not the genre of music. If you want to deny its existence, fine. But the majority of us see it daily.

stevemoney 0

#200, you said it. I can't stand it when people talk so ignorantly our of their asses about suicide and depression. "Snap out of it;" "It's just a cry for attention;" etc...Some people really do know nothing. So many of you commenters are lucky enough to have never been clinically depressed. You don't know what it's like when you lie in bed all night without a wink of sleep listening to the sound of your racing pulse pounding on your eardrums. You don't know what it's like when all of the activities which normally bring you so much joy and satisaction, things which you are normally so passionate about--reading, drawing, writing, music, sports, whatever--become dull and meaningless to such a profound extent. You don't know what it's like to just sit there staring at your food because eating has become such a chore. You don't know what it's like to wake up every morning (if you were lucky enough to sleep) wishing you had never been born. And one of the worst parts is that your mind becomes completely devoid of any intelligent thought--not a single thought goes through your brain and you feel like the dumbest, most worthless person on the face of the earth. Then there's the crippling guilt--when you feel so horrible and there's no reason for it, you can't help but feel overwhelmingly guilty. Every day feels like a month and every month feels like a year. And believe me, you try your hardest to snap out of it. You can't. Depression does not last for a couple of days like it's just regular old sadness--it lasts for months to years. You're lucky if you haven't been though it, and I truly (not sarcastically) am happy for you if you haven't. I'm also highly pissed off, however, that so many of you could be so instantaneously judgmental and take such a serious issue as suicide as lightly as you do. I'm not being a complaining, whiny bitch here. I'm just trying to shed some light on an issue that at least 10805 people (the # of people who have voted that the OP deserved it as of the time that I'm writing this) are ignorant about. I really can't believe the overwhelming number of people who think the OP deserves this. OP, things'll get better. I'm bipolar and have been where you are--I never was suicidal, but I did have an excruciating depressive episode. I wasn't hospitalized for it either, but I did spend time in a psych ward during a manic episode. I know you're not just being some whiny, emo bitch. It's tough, but stuff like this does show who your real friends are. I'm not friends anymore with someone whom I used to be extremely close with because of her viewpoint that people with mental illness are "weak." Those are not the type of people I want to surround myself with. "Every seventeen minutes in America, someone commits suicide . . . Mostly, I have been impressed by how little value our society puts on saving the lives of those who are in such despair as to want to end them. It is a societal illusion that suicide is rare. It is not." - Kay Redfiled Jamison. Kay Jamison is a great author and psychiatrist with bipolar disorder. I definitely recommend reading any of her works (although I haven't read them all yet--I'm sure the ones I haven't will be good when I finally do). So many people think that those who commit suicide must be stupid for doing so, but there is no way they can know the amount of despair the person is experiencing.

Thank you, keepitundercover. What amazes me still is that people STILL do post this bullshit in the comments, especially since I've suffered from clinical depression myself. My parents had exactly the same mindset you're talking about- the idea that if you're sad for a long period of time, the things that used to seem like an everlasting source of fun or humor just seem bland and stupid, and that you don't even want to wake up every day anymore, that you can somehow just "move past it with happy thoughts." Growing up, I always had pretty low self-esteem, but at age 11 or 12, but it seems like what triggered the more permanent change in brain chemistry was my father beating me for the first time, and the rages he flew into, kicking through my door (that one was always terrifying), etc. He didn't drink, and during a short period of time I'd gone from kid with pretty low self-esteem to panicking, worrying, despising myself because I thought something had to be wrong with me- and I think that's the relatively short period that helped to bring on the more permanent condition. Sorry for the life story, but I'm just trying to point out- Depression isn't a choice, folks!

That was some good descriptive stuff, man. I used to sit alone with my head in my hands in a pitch black room for hours, feeling guilty for all the stupid stuff I'd done up to that point- I would go through weeks, stuck feeling like everything but my eyes were stuck in a pool of cement, like everything I heard was lost in my head while I was stuck thinking, and hiding behind a mask of "No comment. There isn't a point anyway." (not that I ever said that, to those of you who think it's just a cry for attention. Just thought it.) I was in high school (and to a lesser extent, middle school) during my clinical depression episodes, and I still have those moments sometimes- where a part of me wants to say no, whenever a friend wants to hang out, go to a party, do an activity, whatever, because I really DID used to feel like I was trying to swim with cement blocks around my feet, but instead of struggling for my life or being at peace with dying, it was just a feeling that nothing, no one, would ever change, make a difference, care in the least about what I thought- nor did I think it mattered. It was just... a hopeless feeling- like peace, but everything is so horribly, horribly wrong you just don't CARE enough to feel the turmoil anymore, not that nothing is wrong.

Suicide is for the weak. Follow the teachings of Courage Wolf! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIwvIRxXowQ

Why would your friends say that to you? That's really mean... I don't understand why people, even friends, have to be such assholes! And what's with 'lables' and 'stereotypes' these days? What's with 'emo'? Calling people a genre of music? ._. Wonderful, insult, guys. Wonderful, kudos for you all! NO. ******* STOP IT. It's REALLY ignorant, and immature, and degrading. So someone cuts themselves, that makes them emo? No... they're just really depressed, guys. You people need to understand this. And for #195: A joke? You think that was a joke? You're ******* retarded, buddy.

we all go through those suicide attempts and depression through our teens years, just have to be strong and eventually you will get over it

We all tried to kill ourselves? What the ****, retard.

We all tried to kill ourselves? What the ****, retard.

valuemeal2 1

To all the people who are saying it's not annoying, yes, it kind of is. Was this post written by my sister? Geez.

blondemoment 0

Wishing you all the best in your recovery. Sounds like it may be time for some new friends though.

Carterv 0

I hate how people always use emo to mean depressed. Emo is a genre of music. FYL.

americayay 0

That's because the people who listen to it are USUALLY the whiny suicidal kids, who aren't actually suicidal because if they were, they would be DEAD. In your defense, I HAVE met people who listen to emo music, but aren't like that.

216: Thanks for understanding it's a genre of music.

stfu people who say hes an emo pusssy. they must of being going through a tough time so errrrrrr shut up :)