By johobus28 - 06/08/2015 03:31 - United States - Monument

Today, I learnt the meaning of the phrase "ménage à trois". I had always thought it was synonymous with "fiasco" and have used it several times in essays. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 721
You deserved it 23 617

johobus28 tells us more.

As embarrassing as it was to learn the actual meaning, I have to agree with you guys. I probably should have looked up the actual meaning before using it. I can usually deduct the meaning of a word pretty well without googling it, but that evidently was not the case here. Fortunately, I never used it on major, college-acceptance essays or anything. Only minor high school assignments. I'll be sure to google a word before I use it next time! Thanks for my first FML guys

Top comments

A ménage à trois (French for "household of three") is a domestic arrangement in which three people having romantic and/or sexual relations with each other occupy the same household. It is a form of polyamory.

Gaernem 17

Looks like all of those essays were a fiasco.

Comments

A07 48
Hunkapoo 19

its french for a relationship where three people share a sexual relationship, and usually consists of a married couple plus a lover of one of them.

TDog3337 12

yes, that would be a fiasco...

I'm sure a ménage à trios could indeed turn into a fiasco, so it's not like you were totally off the mark.

JustinJK 21

It sure can indeed. it sure can, lol

stuner56 22

For all who don't know, it means to have a threesome with two girls!

TheNiceOne 20
Gaernem 17

Looks like all of those essays were a fiasco.

What I don't understand is that if OP has no idea what it means herself, why put it in essays?? That is just dumb.

If it's in another language (or appears it might be) then it's best to google the meaning before you use it. Especially if it's literally multiple entire words longer than what you think it means.

43, I hope you realize that people still have an idea about how a word means even if their idea is wrong. If they're not corrected, they will think they're using it right. So they're still going to use it in the way they think is right. Having the wrong idea is different than not having any idea.

RedPillSucks 31

Google translate sucks, and #4 the essays were actually a huge menage-a-trois.... :=/

Yikes..maybe whoever read the essays had no clue what it meant either. At least you know now.

A07 48

Sure does sound like a fiasco

ChopSuey444 20

I feel like people should just start looking up the phrase before speaking . . . apparently it causes confusion.

A ménage à trois (French for "household of three") is a domestic arrangement in which three people having romantic and/or sexual relations with each other occupy the same household. It is a form of polyamory.

You realise this person could just know that right?

jairienfaite 20

62- That is not how anyone would ever describe it tho. We're talking sexual intercourse, not signing a trade agreement.

I do know what it means, but this description is from Wikipedia. I thought I'd post it because lots of people were saying that it was a threesome involving a man and two women, which is not necessarily true.

No, it's stated as romantic and/or sexual. So, one, the other, or both.

1known_fml 8

You don't have to occupy the same household. Why does Wikipedia says that?

According to the definitions, a ménage a trios and a threesome(or three-way) are slightly different in that a ménage a trios is when you occupy the same household (a permanent relationship) and a threesome is more of a one time/occasional sexual liaison between three people. (You should check out the Wikipedia pic for the three-way haha)

TheNiceOne 20

I wish this FML actually explained it rather than assuming everyone already knows.

TheNiceOne 20

Yes, but you shouldn't really have to do that.

1dvs_bstd 41

I know right? it's so hard to take a few seconds to check out the meaning. How dare FML?

Hunkapoo 19

nowadays we live in a world gifted with the internet, were we can get almost any info in a matter of seconds, and people are to lazy to lift their thumbs. how sad.

um well you could've applied it to urself #21

delfino1604 24

if you need this explained to you then you're too young to be here.

You know you said something dumb when Alan has to tell you what's what.

#48 oh so he's one of the fml staff? Never knew. Thought he was the op since his reply appeared in a yellow box on my phone. My bad.

ChopSuey444 20

#80, it says "FML STAFF" in big bold letters beside his name. Sadly appropriate for the comment chain since it was discussing being too lazy to look for things.