By whatrights - 12/07/2009 08:59 - United States

Today, I learned that "Officer, I do not consent to any searches" means "Officer, please handcuff me, I am trying to be difficult" in cop speak. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 447
You deserved it 23 803

Same thing different taste

Top comments

skullbuster 0

So you clicked either the 'YES' or the 'NO' button on this one? Really? When is your guest spot on Oprah? Can I send you a self-addressed stamped envelope so I can get your autograph? I'm going to frame that shit and take down my autographed cigar from Bill Clinton and put your's in it's place...

Comments

chimmy 0

ah yes, harvey. because i believe in our constitutionally protected rights, i am a terrorist... you sound like you are from the MIAC, which declared libertarians "possible terrorists" because they actually believe the constitution is worth upholding. i am actually a very productive and successful citizen, and even though ive never even touched an illegal drug and i have nothing to hide, i would not consent to a search. the only way that would be for the "good" would be if i was a criminal. and even criminals have the right to refuse a warrantless search, plead the 5th (no self-incrimination.) refusing to consent to a search is an important right. whether or not they handcuff you is beside the point. the founding fathers guaranteed these rights for a reason

http://www.flexyourrights.org/frequently_asked_questions#02

Shippicus 0

I would have done the same thing. I don't want random people rifling through my personals at home, so why would I let them go through them if they are in my car? Cops are for the most part just normal people, and just like normal people I want them out of my personal life.

Ok I'm tired of people bad mouthing cops, yes there are cops who abuse their power this one is an example but that does not mean that all cops are bad

Raivyn_Grimm 9

It's true. There's a lot of stereotyping going on here. "ALL COPS ARE BAD COPS" is kind of like saying (and don't take offense to this it's just to put it in perspective) "ALL BLACK PEOPLE ARE BAD". Or, from the argument standpoint that black people do not choose to be black, and cops do choose to be cops, then here's another comparison; "ALL LAWYERS ARE SLEAZY ASSHOLES". It's just not true. Look at the human race as a whole - we have members who are essentially the epitome of selflessness and purity and goodness, and we also have physical manifestations of evil. Human beings have the widest range of "alignment" (pardon my geekiness) of any known species. In short - Don't generalize, guys. It makes you no better than every other bigot, racist, and all-around supremicist.

no it's not, you're still an idiot for letting him do it in the first place

Cops are assholes? More like those cops are assholes. I've had experience with the police, and in all situations they have been very kind and respectful towards me and those accompanying me.

Jpinkkiss 0

not all cops are bad just some cops have power that goes to their heads and then they abuse it you should probably report it to the police station if you think the cop overreacted lol :)

dramakat11 0

I've met a lot of asshole cops who don't listen to a ******* thing people say and use any excuse to **** people over. Last year my bf accidentally opened the door for the cops without looking through the peephole because of a noise complaint and they came right in and tackled our friend who was dancing in the background. They searched the house and found alcohol in the freezer and then breathalyzed all of us (finding only a very very small amount of alcohol in me and my boyfriend's systems) and arrested us for underage drinking. My boyfriend very politely asked what gave them the right to just come in and tackle our friend and they cuffed him and told him he was spending the night in jail. I then started crying softly and they told me if I didn't stop crying they would take me to jail too. They also kept ridiculing our incoherent, drunk friend mercilessly and made fun of my apartment's decorations, furniture, and messiness. They weren't trying to "protect and serve" at all. They were taking every cheap shot they could and being total dicks for no reason. What *******.

iTunesAddict 0

YDI. Completely and totally. When you get your license, you automatically consent to any searches.

chimmy 0

Not true, iTunes. Check the rules again. You never have to consent.

...reread the laws there, McCoy. Having a license means you automatically consent to any sobriety tests, not searches.

GilPanda 0

Seven exceptions to the search warrant-- - Plain View--cop can see something. - Exigent Circumstances--fleeing felon, likely destruction of evidence, or serious danger to life - Caretaker--you can take something to protect it - Consent--duh. - Incident to arrest--If they're getting arrested, you can search 'em. - Inventory--Say if you're arresting someone, you can go into their car and put things in inventory for safekeeping. or something like that. - MOTOR VEHICLE STOPS--they don't have to get a warrant because vehicles are so movable. My guess is that the cop had to take him into investigative detention? Not totally certain, though. Not enough details.

You should probably look up probable cause. Being a dick to the cop will make him be a hardass and overlook some of the finer details of probable cause. Jim Carrey said it best (because it's relevant to many of the posts here) STOP BREAKING THE LAW ASSHOLE!