By Anonymous - 30/07/2015 21:50 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I learned companies can legally lie to fire an employee, and unless anything they say is on record, they are legally correct, no matter how unethical the company is. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 050
You deserved it 1 817

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Please elaborate? We're all dying to know what happened.

No need to be a dick #15. The FML is pretty vague, And has zero specific details so wanting more is pretty logical. Stop being so salty.

Comments

I'm sorry this happened to you :( If there really is no recourse, then I hope you find another job quickly. Best of luck OP.

I once worked with someone who was fired because the boss just so happened to grow up with this guys dad and didn't like him.

Similar situation here, my boss fired me because he didn't like my boyfriend. I was able to get my job back though because the official reason he put on my paperwork was that I was fired for refusing to come in to work on a scheduled day off which is one of the few reason you cannot fire someone even in an at- will employment state.

Lillyyy06 6

Doesn't sound like a company worth staying in to me, hope you find a better job OP

Welcome to the world of big business.

just rmb that people like honest people a whole lot more. anw there are so many other career oppportunities for you, from companies that'll treat you with respect, so get out there and find something suitable for you :))

Is this a definition from Law 101 course?

This sounds like a state with at-will employment, which a lot of the United States has, which means that your employment is "at the will" of the employer, meaning you can be released at any time, with no reason provided, and no warning. So if an employer dislikes you because of any reason, you're gone,. with no recourse. It's a sad state of affairs.

I would just say that people suck, but the U.S. government sorta does too. And so do a lot of employers. The philosophy behind those "Right to Work" laws is stupid.

#22 there is however one good thing about at-will employment. It also means the employee can quit at any time with or without notice with no repercussions. There are still some rules involved with firing an employee but if the company is smart about it they can get away with almost anything, so it definitely had its downside too.

Unless you have a contract, you can quit any job any time with the only repercussions being you have burnt a bridge.

I know the feeling, OP. I used to work some place that would lie about reasons why the employee was "fired" (most of which had already put in their two weeks notice prior to being "fired"). Suspicious.

It wouldn't make sense to fire someone who has put in their two weeks. If you quit a job, you can't file for unemployment, but you can if you're fired. Maybe they just didn't let them work out their two weeks, which they're not obligated to do in most states.

I was "fired" from McDonald's, after giving my notice, for "not showing up for my shift" They don't care about you being able to collect EI. I think it looks better on their stats if they fire people, rather than people firing them by quitting.

My gut is saying you worked in food service and forgot something a few times...

Companies treat their employees like bees. As soon as they get their honey you are done.