By Anonymous - 31/12/2013 20:11 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I introduced my dad, who is a surgeon, to the TV show 'House, M.D.' I thought it'd be a good bonding experience. How wrong I was. He spent the whole time yelling about the "insane" medical inaccuracies, then lectured me about my crappy taste in TV. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 090
You deserved it 10 149

Same thing different taste

Top comments

******* "House". I can't watch that goddamned show. Doctors don't do their own pathology, give medicines, start IVs, take X-rays, do angiograms, or run the MRI. $@!% &*#%* £$!@ "#+*!

Comments

Scrubs is awesome though, you need a little JD in your life!

Scrubs should have been the go to show if you wanted a light hearted way to bond. House is awesome but too heavy.

Who hates house? Your dad clearly doesn't know good tv shows when he sees them

well in perspective, one of my army friends despises the film hurt locker, due to the fact he was EOD. he knows they do not rambunctiously chase down enemies, but rather defend themselves under fire if need be. Hollywood loves dramatic entertainment even if it is falsified.

Doctors hate House, that's who. Grey's Anatomy is just as bad. As a general rule, it's best not to watch shows about professions with people in those professions, unless they're comedies. Heck, I've been warned not to watch Star Trek with engineers.

I know what it's like. Both my parents are doctors and how they described parts of their work was very similar to both House and in its time Scrubs. Yet every time I tried to show it to them my mom would say that it was stupid and would just leave while my dad would criticize me, prohibit me to watch the show and basically tell me the huge idiot I was for liking such and idiodic show.

cryssycakesx3 22

He has a point my mom is a doctor and can't stand it. It even drives me nuts sometimes. I clicked both because it sucks that he went off on you and you don't have horrible taste but you should have thought about the fact that he might perceive it differently because he works in the field.

My parents (nurse and paramedic) always tell me what doctors and paramedics are doing wrong. It's kinda funny, but interrupts what's going on and destroys the show/movie -.-.

Interestingly, my mom is a doctor, and when we watch House, she does the whole: "I bet it's..." and is usually right. She also explains in further detail what they're talking about, rather than what they're doing wrong. But the first time she watched Scrubs? Opening credits: "That X-ray is backwards."

Was gonna say that. At least he will get a great laugh out of Scrubs

The way I see it, no fictional TV shows are going to get all the technical details correct, and they shouldn't be obligated to. They're categorized as fiction for a reason. The technical accuracy or lack thereof should theoretically not matter in terms of how good or bad the story is, as long as internal logic is maintained (unless it's a comedy and deliberately breaking the internal logic is part of the comedy). That said, I don't blame someone who is savvy in the specific technical field for being annoyed. But let's not hold shows to different standards. I bet the OP's dad is perfectly fine with other movies or shows where the technical details are botched, simply because he's not familiar with that field.