By kylie18xx21 - 01/02/2013 15:26 - United States

Today, I had to leave my ACT prep class ten minutes in to pick up my drunken father from his best friend's baby shower. I picked him up along with a bill for the damage. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 450
You deserved it 2 300

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I hope for you that you aren't living in a situation where it will be you paying for those damages OP. FYL

Comments

Some father figure. I'm sure you won't feel bad placing the tab on him.

wagne057 6

A baby shower? whew, I'd hate to pick him up from a wedding.

Seems almost like you're his dad. Ground him.

I remember this one baby shower. Completely out of control! Never saw a bunch of drunken soccer moms do that much damage to a hotel room. Somehow we wound up with a naked Asian guy in the trunck and Mike Tysons white tiger.

SnoochBoochie 14

Wait. He got another tiger and this one was white?

Michael_92 20

Just be sure you put no returns and sold as-is.

And start the biding at $0.1 Free shipping

Has no one said a pun yet? It seems like.. *puts on shades* He ACTed inappropriately. /Tomato Shield - [ON]

CheeseTron 15

Yes, there's nothing like placing your drunk, naked father in a shower.

This may sound a bit harsh, but if he had to be removed from the party, and there was no other option for getting him home, I'd probably arrange for the cops to pick him up, then just pick him up from the Tank later, if there were no criminal charges or anything involved. I have no knowledge of how the drunk tank works since I can actually drink without becoming violent or destructive, but you don't **** with academics. I hope he's ashamed of himself.

I'm sorry, academics over family? Missing one class isn't going to hurt (it's mostly just practice problem solving anyways, which you can just do by yourself). I'd be more worried about what her dad would have done even if OP did call the cops to pick him up. What if her dad just says **** it and tries driving home? What if the cops did end up getting there and her dad acts inappropriately because he's drunk and ends up with another charge? Yes, it sucks that her dad is drunk, and it was terribly irresponsible of him, but family should always come first. OP did the right thing.

You make some valid points. I'm not saying you're wrong at all, I just disagree. Every individual at some point becomes responsible for their own actions at some point in their lives. Being a father with a child in high school (I think? I'm not familiar with the ACT at all...), he has most definitely hit that point. It's difficult for me to say exactly what I'd do, and without trying to sound almighty, my father would NEVER put me in a position like that. It's easier to judge as a third party, and I might have done the same in said situation. But OP definitely was unfairly put out by this, and their father had no right to ask that of them.

44 - But here, dad's such an unruly, destructive sot that OP may BE her family's future. Might be in the family's long-term interest to let dad suffer his bad choices and let OP build her future.

Again, it's an ACT prep class. If he called during a university interview, or while taking the SAT, yea, I'd figure something else out. But in this case, it's a little overdramatic to talk about the dad ruining OP's future. Also, from the perspective of a student at a very good university, even the SATs/ACTs don't matter that much. The score is just a number, which is a concept that colleges recognize, and you can always sign up for more classes/retake the exam. You only have one family.

Maybe family comes first for you. That's not a fundamental law. If my dad were a piece of shit that routinely ****** up his life or my own life then there's no way I'd pick him up even if it was only a small insignificant class. Hell I wouldn't pick him up if I was at home doing nothing! However, if this was his first offense then I probably would. My point being is that no one should have a biological obligation to anyone. If is a person is shitty i'm gonna treat them like shit, be they family or not, and likewise if they treat me right, I will treat them right, whether they're family or not

44 - Clearly, you have a supportive family, not an abusive/alcoholic/negligent family. I'm happy for you, seriously. But when you have a family that fits into one of the latter categories, saying 'family always comes first' is kind of like saying 'I want to end up just like them' and/or 'I want to end up homeless/broke.' Sometimes, the best thing you can do for everyone is succeed. I'm not saying blow them off completely, but don't let them negatively impact your academics. It might not seem like that big a deal to you, but if OP is interested in a prestigious major/school, it most certainly can be a problem later on. And 'you can take it again' only counts if you have the money/time to take it again. It's not free.

You are a better person than I. I would have just said, "let him figure it out", shut off my phone, and commenced with the prep class.