By Anonymous - 11/03/2014 18:51

Today, I had to explain to my husband that it's biologically impossible for cats and dogs to cross-breed, and that his "brilliant idea" of getting ours to mate is just plain disturbing. He still doesn't believe me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 992
You deserved it 4 358

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Brightbulb 39

It's cat-dog in real life! Maybe you should show him the cartoon, then he will understand it's a dead and impossible concept.

I fear for your cat and dog. Good luck with him OP.

Comments

is it just me or are people getting stupider by the minute?

buttcramp 21

I have this thought often, too. The way I see it, some biologist probably already concluded this can't or won't happen. If it was a possibility, we would already have Cat-Dogs!

arandomusernameaa 20

You don't need to be a biologist to be able to 'conclude' that they can't...

valentinov 15

#18 Ha-ha! This comment proves that OP's husband is not stupid: he's just ignorant, because he didn't read the scientists' paper on catdogs. But, #18 did read it, and... Bummer... You can't cross-breed cats and dogs. Lol! :)) ha,ha,ha! FML: will always lower the bar of stupidity :))

Well hey now, everyone thought animals from different genera couldn't cross breed, but goats and sheep proved us wrong. Everyone though mules were sterile, but a couple have had babies! Weird things happen sometimes. It's highly unlikely cats and dogs will ever be able to breed together (naturally anyways,) but technically there's always that teeny tiny chance.

dannnngthatsux 19

They can. Just no offspring. Dogs will f&#$ anything.

It's possible if you get them good and drunk.

I hear that works on elephants and pigs too...

Sorry 47, but haven't you heard that song from Loverboy?

Pig and elephant DNA just won't spliiice! Says nothing about cats and dogs though, so give your husband a chance, OP!

buttcramp 21

If the person trying to breed the animals was someone educated (veterinarian, scientist, etc.) then it wouldn't be animal abuse. If they mistreated the animals during the process, yes.. but just breeding animals isn't what is harmful.

It doesn't matter who is doing the breeding--inter species breeding is generally frowned upon. It was once common for scientists to experiment with cross breeding similar species, such as lions and tigers, to create new hybrid species, like the liger. Today, many in the scientific community look upon that time with disapproval. Experimentation is one thing, but to mess with actual living things, especially to produce results that would never occur naturally, for no purpose other than amusement is unethical.

valentinov 15

#38 Ha, ha, ha! There's no escaping you! You're spamming the comments with "educated" opinions. Ok, it seems like we, as an FML community, have no choice but to give you some insights in order to improve the quality of your comments. First off, breeding between 2 different races it's impossible in nature. For various reasons. If you want more details, look it up yourself. Second, because a cat and dog can't breed naturally (see above), by trying to breed them in a laboratory, would be forceful and unnatural, and as such, labeled as "animal cruelty". P.S. Go read a book from time to time.

Races? I think you mean species, dude. If you're going to criticize someone, at least make sure you've got your own facts and terminology straight.

To continue on #94's comment to 90... It wouldn't be animal cruelty in a laboratory. They would t waste time trying to get a dog to **** a cat they'd just artificially inseminate the cat with the dogs sperm. If that's animal cruelty we should probably call the U.N. about all those humans being treated cruelly when they get artificially inseminated.

JMichael 25

Now you never know OP. He may do some sort of cross genetics experiment and create the first cat-dog. Next he'll start experimenting on himself and either try to become Spider-Man or some cat-man cross breed.

Your comment reminds me of the movie Splice. That was a messed up movie.

JMichael 25

Yea it was very messed up. I will never watch it again.

cynical78 15

I guess it's better than " my little pony hentai ****". ....

It's not impossible. We are learning about selective breeding and genetics in our 7th ac science class. It's not likely but if it is, it will take a lot of tries to successfully cross breed a dog and a cat or any other organisms for that matter.

The genetic make up of cats and dogs is completely different, that's like asking why you can't have children with a goat.

it is impossible, I think you need to confront your teacher if s/he is telling you it's possible to cross breed animals such as cats and dogs, or maybe pay more attention, tigers and lions can cross breed, maybe that's what your teachers was saying, doesn't mean cats and dogs can

#31- it's possible to have a baby with a goat, don't you read Cyanide and Happiness? XD (For all those pathetic ***** out there that think I'm an idiot, just search "Cyanide and Happiness goat marriage" on Google images. First result.)

arandomusernameaa 20

#22 Animals such as lions and tigers can breed because they are very closely related (but won't produce fertile offspring).. dogs and cats cannot breed because they are too genetically different.

The female Liger (male lion + female tiger) can be fertile and have offspring with either tigers or lions.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

A lot people also say mules (horse x donkey) are infertile (that's what I'd always thought, too), but I read somewhere that they aren't always... I'll have to look that up again.

Up until 10 I actually thought they could, my brother lied to me :/ I always wondered why you never saw any cat/dogs. I was so dumb to believe that.