This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By Anonymous - 09/06/2017 03:27 - United States - Franklin Square

Today, I had my first trial as a defense attorney in what I thought was an easy open-and-shut case with absolutely no chance of failure. My client was found guilty. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 681
You deserved it 706

Top comments

YDI because a defense attorney always has to prepare for the worst case and you obviously didn't do. Otherwise, you would have seen that very real chance of failure in advance. In case the evidence was so overwhelming that you couldn't have prevented the guilty verdict, with better preparation you might have arranged a plea bargain. Conclusion: Don't trust open-and-shut cases because in the end your clients have to pay for your mistakes.

species4872 19

It was open and shut, they were guilty.

Comments

species4872 19

It was open and shut, they were guilty.

cheshireau 26

I don't even think there is an appropriate emote for this.

You must have forgotten the #1 rule of defence attourney-ing (I'm making that a verb). When in doubt, should "OBJECTION" at the top of your lungs while pointing at whoever is in the witness box.

It isn't necessarily your fault. Could have been that the guy wasn't honest with you, which would damage his credibility with the jury and judge. Maybe there was some sort of bias in the jury, or evidence turned up that you weren't informed about. The prosecutor also could have just been better than you, but that just means you should do your best to improve. For the record, it's a little odd and slightly uncomfortable to encourage someone to up their manipulation stat.

YDI because a defense attorney always has to prepare for the worst case and you obviously didn't do. Otherwise, you would have seen that very real chance of failure in advance. In case the evidence was so overwhelming that you couldn't have prevented the guilty verdict, with better preparation you might have arranged a plea bargain. Conclusion: Don't trust open-and-shut cases because in the end your clients have to pay for your mistakes.

If his client was found guilty, then most likely the client is guilty of the charges. So, really the client is paying for his own mistakes, not the lawyers.

Maybe your client shouldn't have brought that chainsaw to his hearing.

FHL for having an overconfident attorney who didn't prepare well enough

Please sign up to be on the Trump team! America needs lawyers like you to become great again.

mo case is easy... you should always be prepared