By Dreamcatcher1229 - 04/09/2013 07:23 - United States - Long Beach

Today, I got my wedding photos back from my sister, a "professional" photographer who offered to do our wedding as a gift. It turns out that not only did she not catch most of the ceremony or reception, but all of the outdoor photos feature a large garbage bag in the background. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 636
You deserved it 5 110

Dreamcatcher1229 tells us more.

That's fair. The back story is that I said yes to her offer because her other work is actually quite good. Her other wedding photos for previous instances looked beautiful, and that's how I assumed mine would turn out. I take responsibility, my husband and I shouldn't have assumed anything. I found out after the wedding that she doesn't like him much to begin with, soooooo I guess putting two and two together I can reasonably say that her distaste has something to do with the shotty and neglectful work. To answer a previous question here, forgive me for not answering the asker directly, the shots we ened up with for the ceremony itself were one of the first kiss, one of our intro as a married couple, and several blurred shots of mostly the audience with a hint of ceremony at the background. She did get my brother walking me down, but not of the beidesmaids and groomsmen. And mind you, she and I DID discuss in advance what events and who in the party we wanted pictured, as well as my request to catch as much of the reception as possible. We had a lot of friends and family travel from far away, and I had asked for more pictures of everyone together, mingling, and enjoying themselves. And thank you to whomever suggested we retouch some of the pictures, we've actually been working on that project and it's going well so far. So all in all I'd like to say that while I was disappointed in the outcome and the sad realization that my sister and I don't have the best of relationships, My husband and I are happy regardless and, thanks to other guests, still ended up with some good pictures. Also, a friend filmed the ceremony itself from beginning to end, so we're going to try to get some stills from that. This is a good lesson in perspective, I guess. Yeah, the situation ended in an FML for one particular detail, albeit an important one, but hey, at least my husband didn't bail out at the altar, or I didn't throw up or something. :-P Okay, sorry for that novel. lol Carry on!

Top comments

Your sister is still a bitch for low balling you like that

She doesn't have to like your husband but that doesn't give her the right to screw you over on your wedding day. That was really childish of her to do that.

Comments

And to all the "Well, it was for free, what did you expect ecc": guys, it was supposed to be her sister's gift for the wedding. Gift, get it?!

you should always check their previous work before anyone does your wedding photos. those are very important in capturing that special time in your life.

She already stated that her sister's photography for other weddings were beautiful. Her sister did shitty work on purpose to be spiteful.

The OP's response was number 48. The comment you replied to was number 19. So yes, by the time you read it, the OP had "already" said she viewed her sisters other work, but at the time 19's comment was posted, the OP hadn't replied yet.

How about other guests OP? For my wedding, we hired an acquaintance who is an amateur photograph who we would pay peanuts compared to a professional because I knew also that many of my guest would take pictures He did a few nice pics although missing a few things but lots of my guests took loads of pictures and I got a really nice album in the end. You should ask around.

notsofriendly 17

Thank you for this constructive and helpful comment. Anyone can spit out "shouldn't have done that!", but it's a moot point at this juncture, obvious and pointless. This is both compassionate and potentially useful.

TheDrifter 23

Aye, I tended the bar at a good friend's reception and I got a ton of good pictures. He'd hired an amateur photographer too, and a number of us sent him our photos, over a thousand in total.

Family can work, as long as they don't have an ulterior motive. My cousin did my wedding pictures and they were wonderful (also free, as that was his wedding gift). I did wonder if OP's sister had revenge in mind, and her responses proved it. As a parent, sibling rivalry is one thing, but sabotage is inexcusable. Definitely time for some whup ass for the "dear" sister.

My father in law did my wedding pictures and they turned out beautiful. So it's not ways bad to hire family! Her sister is just a shitter.

Guess she won't be using you as a reference.

Those pictures must have been a load of trash...

I understand your frustration about the pictures, but if you think about it, they are just pictures. You just got married and are about to start a new chapter in your life, you don't need pictures of an event to make the event special :)

Very true. It's just the nature of FMLs, those anecdotes that could happen to anyone that are so frustrating. All in all it was a great and memorable day. :)

Oops....well in a couple years you could renew your vows and take more photos and use those or if you can crop the trash out...

Well . . . at least you didn't pay for it.