By kittkatt1 - 11/11/2013 01:52 - United States - Dearborn

Today, I found out that when you flush an animal clear of blood for research, there is a nerve inside the heart, which when you strike it right, electrical signals cause the animal to writhe as if alive. Now, my boss knows about my fear of zombies, and I'm now terrified of half my job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 374
You deserved it 5 499

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Plot twist: It wasn't the nerve that made it twitch.

Sounds like a pretty unpleasant job to begin with. I hope that it's for a good cause; animal research always makes me really sad.

Comments

vandeele 8

I hate you people who use animals for research and lab testings. Its wrong! Next time, you get on the exam table and I'll drain all of your blood out of your body, you sick bastard.

because they are obviously using living animals, not preparing cadavers for long term storage

And research on animals hasn't gotten us anywhere scientifically.

If we had human volunteers, say every single member of PETA, maybe we wouldn't have to experiment on animals. But until we do, we'll have to.

astralvagan 20

I'm sure the animal was already dead and didn't mind....

mimiminx 23

#41 - I presume you don't and wouldn't take any medicines ever then?

I can pretty much guarantee that animal research has benefited your life (and most people's lives) in some way or another. Sometimes there is an alternative to animal research, but sometimes it really is just necessary. Deal with it.

I've gotta say that it's not surprising to have found this comment here. A brash remark made by a person that speaks before they have all the facts. Beyond even that, that they value the life of a non-sentient animal over a human, doesn't shock me. It almost makes sense that they would then threaten a human life with a violent death. The bullshit claim of respect for life makes this a TRUE joke. FYL.

Yea, because the animal wasn't dead before they dissected it. People have been studied. Ever read the book "Flesh Market"? You should. It's a book about the studies of humans in the 1800s. Doctors would purposely eff up surgeries just to examine the body afterwards. Figure out how it worked. We can do that to you if that's what you wish. No? Didn't think so. So... let's use dead animals instead, mmmmkay?

Accually we do that to humans it's the first step of embalming

I'm so sorry for laughing so hard at your fear, but the mental image of someone cleaning the blood from an animal and then having it twitch, resulting in that someone nearly ******** themselves and screaming like a little girl... well that's just a great way to start my Monday morning. In all seriousness though, aren't you a little too old to be afraid of zombies? I can understand the twitch making you jump, well, because the critter is dead and you don't really expect stuff like that from dead things, but a fear of zombies? Shouldn't you fear things that are a little more realistic? Like rabid unicorns in army tanks?

hellox3howlow 17

I worked as a neuroscience intern for almost a year, and the profusion of blood out of animals was probably the most unnerving thing I observed! Almost every time I saw someone profuse a rat, it moved violently or even squirted blood. The career is definitely not for the faint of heart (I, myself, realized I couldn't bear to see animals in pain all the time) but we did manage to discover some things that will help alleviate the symptoms of epilepsy, discover why exactly people get it, and hopefully cure it completely in the future. It's a noble profession, OP, hopefully you aren't as squeamish as me and can do it. :)

I feel your pain, OP. I also have a horrible fear of zombies.

Mynameislinh 24

How can I take this encouraging comment seriously, with that profile picture?!

Oh God the image in my mind only makes that more terrifying

you can try and NOT judge a book by its cover

middlenamefrank 8

Your "fear of zombies"? What are you, twelve? I'll agree that draining an animal of blood is pretty gruesome business, and I'm not sure I'd be willing to do the work you do, but you actually thought that animal was re-animating?