By Anonymous - 17/01/2016 07:26 - United States - Blair

Today, I found out that the only reason I'm alive is because my dad beat the living shit out of my mom to stop her getting an abortion. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 282
You deserved it 1 883

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Did he not realize he could've caused her to have a miscarriage? You really are lucky to be alive after that

He used violence to force her into having a child. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're alive, but your father is disgusting.

Comments

This is such a touchy thing to think/talk about, your mom was pretty much going to kill you, your dad is sorta abusive which is what kept you alive, but at the same time he could've caused serious damage to you and your mother by doing it. Wow.

"Beat the shit out of" =/= "sorta abusive"

No his mom was going to have an abortion, not kill OP. OP was then a foetus, meaning a group called of cells with no sense of being or existence.

Trolloled 16

Depends. I mean, it could have been a one-time thing. He reacted in an extreme (not correct in any manner) way to an extreme situation. I'm not condoning his behavior at all, he should have NEVER done that. It's unnacceptable.

I_Am_Melanie 15

#81, I don't know exactly how far along that mother was, but you are able to have an abortion until about 20 weeks with some clinics. At six weeks the baby's heart starts beating and starts growing arms and legs. I'm at 15 weeks and just had an ultrasound and the baby was quite developed and was jumping around, kicking, and punching. It can also respond to outside things. How is that a "group of cells with no sense of being or existence". You sound completely uneducated on the subject.

114- the standard measure of time that is legally allowed to have an abortion, as put forth by Roe V Wade, marks the point of viability. After this point (or time around it, as it is always different per situation), the fetus could be birthed and has a good chance of living. However, before this point the fetus would not be able to survive. A determining part of life is being able to have coherent thought processes, and not be "brain dead." So in a sense, their choice of words isn't exactly false.

You mean the fetus that grows into a human? The fetus that was healthy and growing? Considering OP is alive means she is a living being, that would mean if her mom had the abortion then she wouldn't be here today. I think that constitutes killing. But you know, people loving supporting bogus causes, but turn a blind eye to killing healthy growing things.

Who the **** is pressing YDI? OP wasn't even alive so how can they deserve it?

One could say OP deserves to be alive. If you look at it that way, the votes are waaay ****** up.

Some people do it just for badges. Me? I like to wait until I see an FML that is actually "YDI" worthy.

Obviously you heard this from your dad, as it is very one sided. Your mom could have liked it real rough.... And your dad might just be sour, cuz your mom started getting it rough elsewhere..... You should get a paternity test, cuz it sounds like your dad is over-compensating for something.... Ultimately a small wiener.....

Maybe the only reason why your mom was considering abortion was because your father was extremely abusive and she didn't want a child growing up in that type of environment?

missyfiona89 28

That one time domestic violence is acceptable? no?

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

It may be his DNA in the child, but that doesn't mean he owns the child. The woman is still the pregnant one. It's still her body. And it's still her right. Also, abortion is not EVER used as birth control, it is used as a reaction to when birth control fails. Reducing this to "Abstinence or Children" is, quite frankly, unfair to women.

**** you. Do you realize that an abortion is a medical procedure? It's not used as birth control. It's not something doctors just hand out in the goddamn drive-thru. Spousal abuse is never right and it is not up to anybody except the pregnant woman to determine what to do with the fetus. All this 'he might be a good single father/maybe he wasn't always abusive/" is just taking up for an abuser. He beat her. That was wrong, pregnant or not, abortion or not

A child shouldn't be a punishment for sex. This is especially unfair for women, as a man can just leave as soon as they hear the news.

So the man gets to decide whether he wants to be responsible by sticking around or walking away, but a woman should only be allowed to decide she won't become a mother if the guy decides he'll take the baby? You have some ****** up logic.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

41, no, he detests that commenter. There was nothing actually logical about that post, it was just presumptuous and clearly influenced by anti-choice propaganda. Pseudo-logic, you might call it. Don't project yourself on that commenter, it just insults you.

OP's dad quite literally used force to coerce OP's mom into gestational slavery. The UN says gestational slavery should be considered a form of torture. There is nothing you can say with logic that will condone this. Nothing.

You make me wish I could unread things. The "don't want a baby, don't have sex" thing is just ridiculous. Don't want to get hit by a falling tree? Don't leave your house! Sometimes accidents happen, and the world does not need any more unwanted babies as of right now. I don't blame OP's mother for not wanting to have the child if it was going to grow up around that man, he's disgusting.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
tarlax 11

2 dozen plus? If you're gonna shamelessly bullshit, at least pick a believable number.

I'm not going into a discussion with you, because I can already see you're the type of person where it's useless to do so. I'm just gonna say these things: 1.Birth controls can fail. Congrats on not getting pregnant for 10 years, you're so special. Anyway, shit can fail on anyone, anytime. 2. Abortion is not a form of birth control. Never heard of it being called that, but I'm going to assume you call it that because your against it.

#84 what about the women who need to have one after conceiving a planned pregnancy? Just because you know someone who abuses resources doesn't mean everyone does it or that it's there for that reason. Get over yourself.

#50, I'm not "projecting" myself on anyone. I am 100% pro choice, but the commenter realizing there could be many different outcomes to the situation was logical thinking. As far as their pro life opinion, it's just that - an opinion. I certainly don't agree with it, but I don't hate or disrespect them for not thinking the way I do.

84- so then you've given them the money to help? As in enabling? If they always ask then I would assume you've helped since most people get the hint that you wouldn't help after they ask the first couple of times.

PANDORUM89 21

honestly FYmomsL. she got beaten by her husband and then forced to have a child. I know that means you wouldn't be alive but I mean no woman should be forced to have a child they don't want. also FYL because that's a lot of emotional baggage to have on you. you now know that your dad wants you but he beat his wife. and that your mother didn't want you. I'm quite certain hormones caused her to love you once you were born and she prob still loves you very much. but damn.

Men who beat their wives (and the rare case of vice versa) are rarely doing so for the sake of other people. It's less that he wanted OP and more that he wanted *HIS* child and he didn't want his wife to have an abortion. People who play power games are pretty much always selfish.

Where in the post does it say OP's parents are married or that the dad is even still around? Just because he forced OP's mom to have the child doesn't mean he was around to love, care for, or support the child. Honestly, OP's probably better off without dad around.

Steve97 32

he could have caused her to miscarry by beating her. Your poor mom. She might have had her reasons for wanting to have an abortion, and you're here now so it's too late for that, but your dad was just wrong. He could have found other ways to try to stop her other than beating her silly