By goodbye-college - 15/08/2010 04:12 - Canada

Today, I found out I won't be able to go to college. Why? My sister's horse needs surgery. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 338
You deserved it 5 240

Same thing different taste

Top comments

knibbsy 4

You must end the horse. An unfortunate accident would work.

acantha69 0

Someone else paying for their college ed wasn't even an option for 90% of the people I know. Get a loan, get a job, pay for it yourself.

Comments

Oh dude that sucks =( So not fair. I ride and love horses, and guess what? I'm selling mine to go to school. I think the op's parents should either take a loan out for the HORSE or put it to sleep (call me a bitch), not refuse to pay for your school. Is he like a ridiculously expensive competition horse? Idk. I love them to death, but college is more important. You can take out loans, etc, but you have to pay them back. Rewarding, yes, fair? Absolutely not. OP's parents suck.

hifatpeople 0

watch them eat the horse right after

i sure hope you sister's horse is just faking it.

This is absolutely an FYL situation. It's one thing to just expect your parents to pay for college, but it's quite another to know they've been saving for it, which sounds like the situation here. This is going to cost the OP a lot of unexpected time and work, either securing scholarships or paying back loans. It's not a life-wrecking situation, but it does suck-- so it meets the criteria for this site. I'm surprised no one else has brought this up yet, but why does the sister own a horse she can't pay for herself, anyway? If the OP deserves no sympathy because she should pay for college herself, why doesn't the same apply to the sister, especially since a horse is definitely more of a luxury than an education?

JordanLeah 2

Exactly? It's not as if at the last minute she was like, "O BTW, U GAIS ARE PAYIN, RITE?" Obviously she KNEW they were saving for it with the intention of paying for it/contributing. And I also agree about the sister, why is it expected that the OP should go through the hell of student loans and interests (Since as a horse owner, she probably wouldn't qualify for financial aid...) but the sister and her horse get anything they want?

juturnaamo 29

Join the Army Reserves, it's an awesome way to get your college paid for, plus a nice bonus that covers expenses. If you join the regular Army you can take a job with HR, intelligence, or computers so that when you have downtime you can do your schoolwork for free. With command approval, courses are free. Or you could just take one or two basic classes at a time in a community college until you and your family can afford to go full time.

Cnote231 0

I've never heard of a horse surgery costing over $30,000... get a job!!!

Tell your parents you'll buy your sister another god damned horse with the money you'll get from your well paying job that is a result of a degree from college. Then tell your sister to stop being a whiney brat and that the horse will die someday anyway.

college gets you shit as a job it is slightly better than high school, uni is the only important thing

FyourLIFEdotCOM8 0

selfish bitch, the horse is sooo much more important than you. f the horses life. dafp but seriously op grow up, get a job and a loan and then go to school like us responsable adults

JordanLeah 2

I really don't understand why the general consensus is that the OP must have just assumed that her parents were going to pay for her education without this even being discussed previously? Um no, if you're college-bound, you know from an early age how it's going to be paid for. You don't ever wait until the last minute to see how things pan out; not with something as important as higher education. Having your parents pay for your schooling doesn't make you "selfish" or "spoiled", and in many families it IS expected, because of their financial situation and the emphasis that is placed on going to college. For example, my parents are paying for all 4 years of my University, and I grew up with them telling me that they would. I was fully aware of the financial planning, how much money was in my college account VS how much I would need, etc. Also, it's not as if schools just hand out loans and financial aid like candy. I know lots of people, myself included, who didn't even qualify for ANY financial aid. And since the OP owns a horse, I'm guessing she probably wouldn't either. It's also not easy to get scholarships AT ALL. All the comments about "If you didn't slack off in high school, u shud get scholarships." are completely inaccurate. Even if you're at the top of your class, in all AP classes, and filled to the brim with extracurriculars, it's still doubtful that you'd even get a scholarship.

That's not necessarily true. Some families just don't talk about finances like yours does, you can't assume that it's as black and white for everyone else. Some people really don't know where the money is coming from until it's pretty late in the game... some people aren't sure about going to university until the later years of high school. Not everyone knows "from an early age" where the money for school is going to come from. Lots of scholarships really do go unclaimed every year. If you sit there expecting to just have scholarships fall onto your lap, OBVIOUSLY it's "not easy" to get scholarships. But if you actually make an effort to look them up and you have a B average or greater (which you'd need for university anyway) you can find plenty of scholarships, at least enough to cover in-state tuition at a public university. Some people's situations can also change extremely quickly. My family said that they would pay for the bulk of my education and I would have to make the rest up with a few scholarships. Guess what? In my senior year they suddenly divorced, I ended up living with my single mother who makes less than $25k a year, my dad took all the money for my university and used it to pay his debts, and now I get NO MONEY AT ALL and had to take out loans and pay my entire way myself. Complete turnaround in less than a year. So don't go around making ridiculous claims like "from an early age you know how it's paid for". That's a privilege that a few kids from wealthy families have. The rest of us that have more ambiguous circumstances have a bit more trouble arranging where the money is going to come from.

rosemary_fml 5

well said. my parents said "if" i get to college. and i said "no, i AM going to college." that only happened because i worked my ass off for it.

JordanLeah 2

My parents divorced during my Senior year, too, but it wasn't official until after I had to turn in the FAFSA paperwork, so I didn't qualify for anything. :/ But lucky, at that point, they already saved enough for all 4 years, so I was lucky. I know that. As for scholarships, I go to a private school, so a lot of the more common scholarships like UC Regents didn't apply to me. But because of how California is right now, all of my friends who do have financial aid or scholarships keep getting less and less coverage every year. Obviously circumstances can always change, I just didn't like the tone or assumptions of most of the comments, where the OP was painted as some kind of "lazy ass" or "spoiled brat" just because she expected her parents to pay for her college, to the point where even some comments told her to "stop being selfish" and "grow the f up", which are just wrong. I mean, the main point here is still that her parents consider her sister's horse to be more important than her education.