By mariology - 11/12/2013 12:33 - United States - Newark

Today, I found a credit card at my job. As store policy goes, we have to cut up lost cards immediately after finding them to protect the cardholders. As I grab the scissors and cut, my manager calls out, "Has anyone seen my credit card?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 824
You deserved it 11 608

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Didn't you recognize your bosses name on the card...?

Twisted_Angel 17

The name on the card should have given it away that it was your bosses card. If the name was the same as an employee then you should ask if it's theirs or not before playing Edward Scissorhands.

Comments

Waste of a first comment. But personally I would have started laughing if I cut my bosses card! Hopefully he understands and doesn't fire you but if he does cut his neck.

Even smoother when you remember that credit cards have the owners name on them. OP deserves it.

incoherentrmblr 21

What store do you work for so I know not to shop there?...

98 - Yeah, how dare that store be concerned for people's financial security!

What if OP didn't know the name of the boss or something, or forgot or just didn't look... Things happen.

I really like your recon corps badge from attack on titan

I, for one, would love to cut up my boss's credit cards...

Didn't you recognize your bosses name on the card...?

Thats what I was thinking, while I'm sure the boss can just get a new one and it's not a real problem, op never looked at the name??

I worked retail in high school and I actually got written up because I returned a coworkers credit card to him instead of destroying it. Just shrug it off OP.

#41 I'm just curious as to where you and OP work(ed) that has that policy. Every job I've had keeps it in the store safe incase the customer comes back for it. (Which a lot do when they track down their last purchase)z

At the time I was working at Kohls. I dunno if it was the company or just the store managers there but it was a terrible working environment.

I worked in grocery customer service, and we kept this stuff in tact until we cleaned out the lost and found, unless the card was to the in-store bank.

alan2kai13 3

He wanted to protect the identity. Even from himself

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Where I worked, we kept the cards for a week and always checked their IDs before giving it back.

#147 how exactly were they supposed to know it was debit? Last I knew almost all debut cards can be charged. Now I think cutting cards is a stupid policy, but you can't get mad at them for being safer than you with your card. You are the one who left it after all.

156- Debit cards say DEBIT on them along with a Visa or MasterCard logo.

Really? Mine has the MasterCard logo, but does not say debit. I CHARGE it frequently because I'm too lazy to type in my PIN and go through a million questions. Every card I've dealt with can be charged. Certain places (like my college bookstore, and pretty much any place the cashier swipes for you) only have a credit option. So as I said, the fact that it was a debit card is irrelevant.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Actually, there is. Unless you don't know your bosses name.

Well, his name would be on it, so there's that. . .

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
SuperMew 22

Rizzen, you got downvoted because credit cards have names on them. There was a huge way of being able to tell who the card belonged to.

Cards have the person's name on them... Was I wrong for assuming everyone knew that already?

Possum_Gurl 13

Except for you know? The name on the card?? But that would make too much sense..

Karcasm 7

Unless the boss has a really common name. Even then, YDI for not double checking that it wasn't your boss's.

Weird_situations 13

I'm sure he'll understand if you explain it to him.

nope the open will probably get fired. You hear about alot of dick bosses here on FML.

Twisted_Angel 17

The name on the card should have given it away that it was your bosses card. If the name was the same as an employee then you should ask if it's theirs or not before playing Edward Scissorhands.

RedPillSucks 31

But Edward makes pretty cutout figures

I think she did the right thing. She could be liable if she was caught with it.

I dunno, "Hey John Smith the cashier is this your credit card" "Hellz yea that reminds me I needed to go on a ten thousand dollar shopping spree"

Your manager can't get too upset. You were following the rules and you had no idea it was their credit card

How do you not know your boss' name. Ydi.

Don't worry, your boss was working your nerves and you secretly got back at him, you knew you saw that name on the card.

Did you not think to check the name? I really want to know if you told him, or just quietly put the pieces in the bin.

Yup I would have put the pieces in the bin, with shifty eyes and all.