By Anonymous - 14/09/2011 18:21 - United States

Today, I finished the first month of a diet and exercise program designed to help me lose weight. To keep myself motivated, I have avoided the scale the entire time. I weighed myself today. I've gained 6 pounds. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 684
You deserved it 5 939

Same thing different taste

Top comments

structuredchaoz 4

Muscle weighs more than fat. If you are excersizing and building muscle mass. That's why

Comments

Do not go on a f*%&ing water diet...... You'll lose weight.. but then what happens after that? when you're low on protien iron etc.. you can't be on a water diet forever lol it's nowhere near healthy to say the least. All you have to do is eat a balanced diet and exercise so that you're burning more calories then you take in. If your exercise is quite physically demanding eg swimming you'll find you'll put on muscle (although i don't recommend swimming for weight loss as the cooling of the water doesn't enable your brain to heat up during exercise to switch of the feelings of being hungry thirsty etc)

to every idiot saying it's muscle. while dieting you can't really gain muscle as much as you would if you kept the callories in your maintenance level. also women can't gain a lot of muscle easily,6 pounds is what an average male with a 100g+ protein diet would gain in a month with heavy weightlifting. fat people need a hell of a lot more callories than "normal" people,they have a much larger room for error,seeing as you probably needed 2500-3000 callories a day i say learn to count them properly,read the nutrition stickers on the food and stop stuffing yourself with chocolates because with daily exercise you still need like 3,5k callories just to maintain weight,how the hell did you get 4k+ (in order to gain fat) without eating junk food is beyond me. Water diet?LOL all that water diet does is get rid of water in your body,it's fat you're trying to lose,not water.and that's why all the "lose pounds fast with the sweat belt!" commercials are one big joke. btw OP,you won't lose weight if you keep sabotaging yourself,if you're gonna eat that chocolate in the end of the day then you might as well stop whining that your diet didn't work out.

ReynshineCutting 10

I think you keep missing the part of the fml that says OP is not only dieting, but working out as well so yes she CAN be gaining muscle at the same time. Muscle burns fat so when you build muscle, you automatically burn fat. Also like someone else said, if OP hadn't been active in a while and had jello muscles, she could easily gain 6 lbs of muscle in a month if she's hitting the gym 4 days a week and doing weights. She doesn't even have to be doing intense weights if she had no muscle before.

muscle. the weight of you body isn't just fat, it's muscle, water weight and other things. just cause you gained six pounds doesn't mean you haven't lost fat.

gofferurself 10

it is called muscle mass. FYL, for not being able to use a brain.

madleo13 4

You actually will always gain first before you loose.

If you (female) gained 6 pounds of muscle in 1 month, then I think there's something weird about your diet and exercise plan. Or, if you gained 6 pounds of fat or water weight, then I think there's something weird about your diet and exercise plan. Either the diet and exercise plan is out of balance somehow, or using some crazy scheme that isn't logically or medically sound, or you cheated. Maybe you only cheated a little bit, each day, each meal.... but that will do it. I lost about 70lbs by doing these things: - walk briskly for one hour a day. Try to walk further in your hour each day. - drink 2 litres of water per day - eat fruit for breakfast and morning snack. Sometimes yogurt too, with the fruit. - eat salad for lunch, add tuna or a boiled egg if you really are starving but NO CARBS. In winter I switched this to soup. - halve the meat portion in your dinner. Eat as much vegetables in its place as you want. No cheese, no mayo, a TINY portion of carbs maybe sometimes, no sweets. - no alcohol is best, but if you must occasionally indulge, cut out beer, spirits and soft drinks and have wine instead. - Weigh yourself everyday, in the morning. My experience was that you have to weigh yourself often to give yourself a little bit of encouragement when you do lose some. The other things is when you do cheat a little bit (and we all do sometimes), you will SEE it, next morning on the scale and you'll teach yourself not to do that anymore. Last piece of advice is try doing some yoga. Just a few simple stretches and breathing each evening which you can find online. Yoga has a brilliant way of making you connect with your body and become conscious of what is going in. It can help foster a healthier overall mindset and help you make consistently healthier choices regarding food, alcohol, smoking and exercise. I used to just sit on the floor and stretch a bit while watching TV. (Disclaimer: There may be things in my plan which could have been done better, or weren't necessary or whatever....just sharing what I did and that it worked well for me. Best part was that I haven't stacked the weight back on. I'm six months pregnant now and still 30 lbs less than I was at my biggest, four years later.)

Its propably musle and water retension. Dont give up

muscle weighs a lot more than fat. so you're probably good.