By Anonymous - 02/08/2016 14:42 - Germany - Berlin

Today, I excitedly told my brother I submitted a short story for a competition for the first time ever. His reply? "Congrats. I guess the first letter of rejection is a special occasion." Gee, thanks for that reality check. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 422
You deserved it 1 229

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Don't let your brothers negativity get to you, I wish you the best with your story.

Your brother sounds like an asshole. Good luck OP and I hope you win.

Comments

brothers try to be assholes, its what we do. So don't take it to personally. Show him up!

If you should fail the first time, keep trying. Let success be your motivation. And when you do succeed you can look back on the long road it was and remember the hard work you put it.

Write a story about a vengeful woman who murders her asshole of a brother. Leave it laying around for him to read.

Hey, Even J.K Rowling got numerous rejections before getting published!

Oh come on, he was joking. And if you can't handle a joke about an imaginary rejection letter, how are you going to cope with the inevitable real thing?

That's siblings. You can rarely get a 100% honest answer if they don't care. It's all in good spirits, though.

Your next story should feature a character whose brother is a condescending dickface who never believes in his dreams. After all, the experts do say "write what you know." In all seriousness, though, don't let your bro's jerkish attitude kill your hope. He's probably just jealous.

da_epic_failman 7

That's a terrible thing for him to say. Good luck with your story, m8!

While your brother said that explicitly to be an asshole, the truth is that most authors don't have their manuscript/piece accepted on the first submission. But the denials themselves aren't entirely bad- you can look through the suggestions that each editor made and make a list starting with the most common suggestion. Not only will that give you an idea of what to change for the current work, but you can use it as a reminder of what not to do during first write of your next book. Some denials can also be as simple of a matter as "we don't publish these genres." Keep in mind that a rather large number of writer's who are considered exemplary nowadays were usually turned down repeatedly, usually an insulting manner. Of course a fair few of them didn't see fame until after they died, but if you've managed to finish writing a book, you likely understand that it would be a waste to try to take advantage of that. Also, make sure the businesses you send the manuscript to are real ones!