By Arrkyna - 23/08/2015 17:42

Today, I decided to upgrade to Windows 10. I wanted to keep my old files on the current hard drive, I clicked on the keep old files option. Thanks to Windows, I lost everything. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 774
You deserved it 5 701

Same thing different taste

Top comments

YOU HAVEN'T LOST EVERYTHING!!! in events like this Windows creates a backup. you'll find ALL your files in the "windows.old" folder. just search it up!!!

Don't trust them when it says it'll retain your old files, you need to always back up your files before upgrading or changing your OS. Sometimes Windows is nice enough to put your files in a folder on the Windows drive called "windows.old" which would be where everything you had on that drive before would be saved. However I don't know if they kept that feature in Windows 10.

Comments

A few things to keep in mind: 1) Obviously, backup, backup, backup. If you upgrade anything, back your shit up. A "windows.old" folder is created by default if you choose the option to back files up. Save all of your important documents to an external drive *by default*. For some very specific programs, I have saved their setup.exe files to my external HDD just in case. 2) Windows 10 is a new OS. There *will* be problems, simply because it's a new OS. It may be seamless for one person, and be riddled with problems for another, and it's mostly due to hardware. For me, my Bluetooth devices ceased to sync when I upgraded to W10, but resumed functionality after installing an older version of the driver. 3) For W8 users: W10 is a better OS, but I had no problem with W8, because you can simply download a Start button. From that point on, I used W8 just like W7.

Come on why haven't you got some kind of file back up? You should have backed up your own files before doing this. Hope you find them but go out and buy an external hard drive or online backup.

Dont blame programing, I downloaded windows 10 the day it came out, its all click and play, you just suck at using a computer

I was considering upgrading. Now I sure as hell won't.

seaboundrhino813 8

They put a disclaimer saying to back up your data. ydi.

Tsukiyomi 16

Sucks to be you Should've stuck with 7

IMO, 10 is better if you turn off all the tracking stuff and make a local account. They added said tracking stuff to 8/7 in a recent update too.

uhhh... what? that never came up on my machine or any machine I have upgraded.

I upgraded and it neither asked about files nor touched anything installed. I'm guessing you were using a preview copy or something a little bit more fishy.