By partyrocker12 - 19/09/2012 19:45 - United States

Today, I decided to give blood for the first time in my life. As an 18-year-old, 5'1", 110lb woman, I guess I shouldn't have been allowed there, much less permitted to leave the room to get some food. I ended up passing out in the middle of the dining hall. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 924
You deserved it 4 212

partyrocker12 tells us more.

partyrocker12 1

Hello, OP here! Thank You all for your concern! I'm doing a lot better. I actually ended up passing out three more times before they carted me off to the hospital, where I took a nice nap. I think what did me in was my blood pressure, which to me actually seemed low to give blood. I have normally low blood pressure (96/84 is my average) and it was 100/85, or something like that. They also did not attempt to detain me. As for the amount, they took 2 cups from me, so one of the smaller bags. This is a company that regularly visits my university (not the Red Cross, if it was Red Cross it would be different), and my sorority sister who took care of me had two bags taken from her last year, she's about 5'5" and weighs maybe 170lbs and she nearly passed out. I think the next time I give blood, it will be with RC. They made no attempt to stop me as I went up a flight of stairs, handed my meal card over, and made my way over to the pop machine, which is where I fainted for the first time in my life. Thank You again for your concern, and I'm so glad that I did it.

Top comments

hopsinlove17 26

At least your vein didn't collapse. Shame on the doctor who permitted you...at our blood drive you have to be 120

Comments

Kaitlin4425 3

At least you made it off of the table before passing out! The nurse had to quickly remove the needle from my arm and she got blood EVERYWHERE.

They actually let you donate? I tried three times to get them to let me donate; where I live, at my height (5'2), I have to weigh 130lbs to be able to donate blood before I turn 21. Being that I only weigh 115lbs, they wouldn't let me donate. Although, I am allowed to donate marrow...

dragoongirl90 34

Your weight is perfectly acceptable. If you passed out, it's your fault for not letting them know you weren't feeling well. Don't blame the doctors.

That sucks :( I remember a few months ago I was feeling really sick and I had to go get blood taken to have tests done to see if had something wrong. With a huge fear of needles, I was very scared. It was done and I was happy that it didn't hurt at all and that it went by fairly quickly. However I nearly passed out and almost vomited. I was okay in the end though

HalfRetarded127 18

At every blood drive I've ever been to, upon finishing your donation you are walked to a table. This table has juice, water, cookies. and pretzels specifically designed for you to sit there and eat something before leaving. I have literally never seen a blood drive that did not have food for people donating. If you couldn't be bothered to sit down and eat a pack of oreos and drink some apple juice, that's your fault. I used to donate every 2 months, and there was always food. And the places I donated were frequented by elderly donaters, who should have had more concerns with their blood pressure, never seemed to faint. Next time, eat the friggin cookies.