By Gg - 23/07/2009 21:19 - United Kingdom

Today, I bust my lip when a car bumped into mine. As I headed home, I was stopped by the police who told me my back light was out. I tried to explain, but it just came out as "fghjiljh" because of my lip. I was arrested on suspicion of drinking and driving. FML
I agree, your life sucks 52 969
You deserved it 4 122

Same thing different taste

Top comments

LOLL, wait but I don't get how you can't talk properly just cause your lip is swollen a bit

That sucks. But a test would immediately prove you didn't drink, so it's not that bad?

Comments

LOLL, wait but I don't get how you can't talk properly just cause your lip is swollen a bit

This is true. Even if an officer saw a person with a speech impediment, they have no real evidence for arresting him/her because they're drunk. It's easy to speak without moving your bottom lip. Also, wouldn't the officer ask you to take a sobriety test? In conclusion: FAKE. (Why? My brother's a cop)

You should pay more attention to detail. This guy is from the UK. Their laws differ from ours.

noName123456 0

well then ydi for living in a country where officers don't need hard evidence to arrest you, also ydi for making a fake FML

Kiwi_Splash 0

Yes, it has happened to me once and I could barely talk. When you bust a lip it gets so swollen that you can't even move your lips to speak properly. It took a while till the speech impediment wore off. The lips are one of the most sensitive parts in the human body, so I don't find it surprising.

Ox_Baker 0

Even in a backwards nation like England, you can't arrest someone for having a speech impediment. There is absolutely no way this is a real FML unless he actually were drunk.

platinumrain 0

Actually in the UK police do breath tests on portable machines. In the US they just make you walk a line and touch your nose...

LOL ya this FML is fake. -if his lip was really busted after a car rear ended him (lolwut? how does this happen?) then it'd be serious enough to warrant a police report, before he even begins driving home -you cant be arrested under "suspicion" and an officer would be able to tell that you have busted lip, rather than randomly assuming you're drunk LOL nice try.. can we get some real FMLs now??

cucuto89 0

ITs fake cause he woulda had to talk to the guy who hit him.

platniumrain i think they do that everywhere...

Where I've lived in the U.S. they use breathalyzers. Not just the "walk the line" and "touch your nose" method. And I've lived ALL over the U.S.

And were you pulled over for suspicious of drunk driving in every US city you lived in? ??? If not, the fact that you have lived all over the country is irrelevant.

bbobe900000 0

maybe he just knows the laws of the states he lives in. because he's SMART. but I doubt they use breathalyzers in every state...

I live in the UK, and I know that this would never happen. If they pull you over for something, they will ALWAYS do a breathalyzer test, and then arrest you or not based on the result of the test. No such thing as "suspicion" of drink-driving when you can prove it in a few seconds. I'm not saying that the OP made this up though. He just phrased it completley wrong. He definitely didn't get arrested on suspicion of drink-driving, but they may have suspected him off drink-driving and tested him, which is kind of a hassle. Still that wouldn't be a big deal, because OP would take a breathlyzer test, pass, and then drive away.

Actually- they do. The tests run are called the SFSTs (look it up online), which stands for Standardized Field Sobriety Tests. They're a nationwide (so obviously I'm only speaking to those in the US- I cant say anything for other countries) set of tests in which all departments must use. Its literally a check sheet of acceptable tests to run, 3 required and a few optional, and a spot for the results of either a breath test or a blood test (depending on cooperation). It doesnt matter what state you live in (as someone mentioned before, it's the same for ALL states), but if you live in a po-dunk little town where breathalyzers are scarce, the difference might be they might be able to lawfully detain you under suspicion of intoxicated driving (but you have to show signs on the other tests, which wouldnt show if you were sober), and take you into a station where they have a machine. If you're not drunk after the PBT (preliminary breath test), then they will tell you to drive safely, and return you to your vehicle. If you are drunk, they'll arrest you if you're above the legal limit and have your car towed.

In Florida.. where I live. If you refuse the breathalyzer when pulled over that immediately allows them to take you into custody. If the OP was not cooperating with them and too busy trying to explain his case they may have taken that as a refusal to take the breathalyzer at which point they can arrest him WITHOUT CHECKING HIS BAC...

Having some background with law enforcement I call shenanigans. There has to be more to the story. So I guess we all need to grab our brooms.

you guys are bein stupid his lip was SWOLLEN not "ripped off" 1. I don't think (I think I misspelled) a crash from behind could rip your lip off 2.if you've ever had an allergic reaction on your lips you'd know how hard it if to get out. a sentence let alone 1 word 3.he could have been taking into custody because he was to busy trying to explain to the cop (who I have concluded to be worse that Paul Blart) to relize or let the cop speak long enough to get him to take the test. this is not fake you guys are just to lazy to use the brain god gave you. and no not having an instruction booklet is not an excuse

And the field sobriety test would show you not drunk. Unless you were and didnt tell us that part

That sucks. But a test would immediately prove you didn't drink, so it's not that bad?

its not like your tongue was swollen, i think youz a liar

They didnt give you a breathalyzer? That sucks, FYL.

So fake. Even if your lip was completely ripped off you could be easily understood. Also, you'd have blood all over your face if your lip was that bad to begin with.

keeeever 0

i don't think so, i just tried to talk without moving my bottom lip, simulating it not being there and let me assure you, it is not an easy task.

Haha, I think you just made a whole lot of people from all over the world try the same thing. I did, and you're right, it's not easy :|

You can move your bottom lip. He said it was ripped off, not that your jaw suddenly stops working. The only things you couldn't say with a ripped off lip are the letters B, F, M, P, V, and W I'm gonna agree. Fake. Not only that, but it's illegal to arrest someone for "drunk driving' without giving them a breathalizer (sp?) test. Not to mention the fact that if you /really/ couldn't talk for whatever reason it would be obvious as to why.

Amphysvena 11

worstpersonalive are you assuming they don't use breathalyzers in the UK? just saying.

Keeeever and noon fyl if you cant talk to the point it sounds like complete jibberish when trying to not move your lips. maybe i'm talented and should look into ventriloquism or something, but I don't find it at all difficult to speak quite understandably without hardly moving my lips or jaw. Most sounds are made with your tongue not your jaw or lips.

you guys are bein stupid his lip was SWOLLEN not "ripped off" 1. I don't think (I think I misspelled) a crash from behind could rip your lip off 2.if you've ever had an allergic reaction on your lips you'd know how hard it if to get out. a sentence let alone 1 word 3.he could have been taking into custody because he was to busy trying to explain to the cop (who I have concluded to be worse that Paul Blart) to relize or let the cop speak long enough to get him to take the test. this is not fake you guys are just to lazy to use the brain god gave you. and no not having an instruction booklet is not an excuse

Finally someone who understands how speech works. Unless you try to yell then most people do not move thier lips to talk or an actor who needs to make every sound when speeking

If I could talk with my top lip ripped in half to the point where it needed surgery then anyone can talk with a busted lip

Wow, I just "llaawwlld" at your comment. Please tell me your kidding. If you aren't then your stupid

seriouslyFML1 0

im calling bullfuckery....they would give you some type of test...and they'd be able to tell....you suck at FML....liar

your lips swelled up that fast? and i doubt the cop would arrest you that quickly unless you seemed crazy drunk while you were trying to talk...

it doesnt take much time for a lip to swell

loooooooooool_fml 1

Wait, no test? Is that even legal?

seb12992 0

Where does it say he didn't make one? #9 just proved why he's the biggest idiot on this site.

I'm gonna call fake on this one. if a car "just bumps" you I seriously doubt you busted your lip so bad that you couldn't talk right. also the police can't arrest you because of slurred speech. they have to do the drunk test. and most cops have portable breathalizers nowadays.

You'd be surprised what a slow moving car can do. My boyfriend was rear-ended at a stop light by a guy doing maybe 15mph and he got severe whiplash.

Emberlin 0

Agreed...I was in a car that was rear-ended in a parking lot and I was the only one wearing a seat belt and I had to get stitches on my face. It was funny but kind of embarrassing