By me - 12/07/2011 04:20 - United States

Today, I broke up with my boyfriend. I had only been dating him for about a month. Thinking he wouldn't take it very hard, I invited him over so I could tell him in person. Little did I know he was going to start crying on my couch and not leave for 5 hours. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 128
You deserved it 10 733

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Kudos to you for breaking up with him in person rather than by text. He would have probably handled it much worse (like crying for 10 hours on your couch) if you did that.

PSQ91 6

Comments

look what you did. you heartless girl. he wont be the same.

unibrowicorn 0

the EXACT SAME THING happened to me. hmmmmmm...

maybe he really liked u... I don't understand why people date for a month. either don't date or stay together. for atleast 9 so you can guarantee a positive ID on the father....

the fact that he was so heartbroken about having to leave you. obviously he really cared, maybe he thought it was truly going somewhere, and if she stayed that long crying then he'd probably fix the reason why you wanted to end it. think about it, he cared for you so much that it only took him a month for him to break down In tears. isn't that the kind of guy you'd want to keep?

joa76 3

Not if they weren't compatible. It's also possible that he reacted that way because he has emotional issues, such as depression, or is acting like a 12 year old girl and thinks the second you use the words girlfriend and boyfriend, it means you'll be together forever. It doesn't necessarily mean he actually cares deeply about her, and even if he does, unless they were friends for a long time before, do you really think he knows her well enough to TRULY care that much about her?

HunterAlpha1 8

unlike OP some people actually have souls; they don't just get together with other people to hump until it's boring then break up. he fell in love with you, he gave you his heart, and you ripped it out of his chest and stomped on it, then act like he's a freak because he got upset when you did so. but if you have to break someone's heart, the rule #1 for breaking up: always do so at a neutral location, preferably in public in case they get violent. i give this a firm YDI.

joa76 3

What is wrong with you people? You date someone because you like them. You break up with them because you realize things aren't working--you're not compatible, one or both of you isn't ready for a relationship, they bring you down instead of making you better, you realize you only really like them as a friend, whatever. If you realize things aren't working, the ONLY reasonable option is to break up with them, especially if it's only been a month. If you've been together for years and things suddenly start being difficult, you can assume it's temporary and try to work through it, but if things aren't right from the beginning, they most likely never will be. Ask yourself this...would you rather date someone who breaks up with you when they realize it's not working, or who stays with you even though they don't want to just because they're afraid of hurting you? If you pick the second option, that MIGHT be something you want to discuss with your therapist. Also, MOST couples break up at some point. You can't fault someone for breaking up with their boyfriend/girlfriend. That's ridiculous. Do you seriously think everyone should marry the first person they date in 7th (9th, 12th, whatever) grade and stay with them forever and ever because breaking up with someone means you have no soul? Nonsense.

a_nutritionist 10

who said they SHOULDNT break up? its the lack of compassion and understanding that someone will be hurt, then bitching about it online. if you want to break it off, then fine, but there are two things to consider within this case: 1. you were together a month, clearly you didnt know this person when you got together. nobody breaks up after 1 month if they really know the person, unless they come to a mutual understanding that it couldnt possibly work out. this isnt tv. 2. people can get upset when relationships end, and shouldnt be judged this harshly for doing so. if you knew the person you were getting involved with, youd know their emotional level. if youd been involved with them properly before making such a decision and got to know them, this response would be expected. not only did she not know this guy before getting into a relationship, she clearly ended it before knowing him as well. YDI.

Guys. No MAN I know would cry for hours over any break up.

that's why you always go to their house if you break their heart

joa76 3

Maybe that wasn't a possibility? It's possible that they live too far apart to walk and he can drive but she can't (which is not necessarily an age thing, since there are people in their 20s who can't drive).