By nilssonfan - 17/11/2010 08:08 - United States

Spicy
Today, I bought one of my favorite albums from when I was growing up. When I looked at the liner notes, I learned that my favorite song on the album wasn't about taking a bath, but about going to a brothel. My second-favorite isn't about moving, but about suicide. My childhood just shattered. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 845
You deserved it 5 953

Same thing different taste

Top comments

it's funny how things are different when were older hey. like the play school song :|

Since the username says “nilssonfan”, I’m gonna guess she means “Bath” and “Without You” by Harry Nilsson.

Comments

sallen0046 4

How could they be your favorite songs off the album if you never bothered to actually listen to the lyrics? It's one thing not to pick up on metaphors as a child, it's another thing entirely to not even know the words to the songs. But really, what difference does it make what the songs are about? It's just music. Your childhood would be shattered if you discovered you were conceived in a brothel and that your distant parent actually committed suicide and no one told you. You just experienced a normal part of growing up - discovering things aren't always what you believe them to be. There's no need to be overly dramatic about it.

Who brought the good news bear? Somebody give him/her some ******* honey. It is quite common to interpret a song in many different ways. Especially as a child, your mind isn't fully developed to comprehend an underlying message. Perfect example is the song "ego" by Beyonce. You can know the lyrics verbatim, and still miss the meaning of the song. It can have a double message, or it can be a song that is meant to be left up to the audience to interpret it the way they want to. So you can get off the OP's back.

"Follow Me" by Uncle Kracker is another perfect example. I knew the entire song, and had NO idea it was about cheating until they discussed it on the radio.

moonmask 0

"Longview" by Green Day is another one. It could either be about masturbation, or staying at home being lazy.

Currentlyonfire 4

serves you right for being emo. woot back from my ban.

This happened to me and Third Eye Blind. I still love them, though. (:

i used to love 'slow motion' by third eye blind. that was until i actually listened to the lyrics properly, now it pains me to listen to it. its horrible!! lol the guitar in it is still amazing though

Same. A lot if their songs are really depressing if you actually listen to the lyrics, which I never did at the time, I was too young. They are still amazing now that their songs have deeper meanings though.

sourgirl101 28

I love Third Eye Blind too!(: It's also like Sixx AM's "Life is Beautiful". Great song but if you dig deep into it's meaning it's not so pretty.

NoFackYourLife 0

Boo ******* hoo, maybe you should do the world a favor and end it.

cherry72 13
davek 36

You wanna know another way to destroy your childhood? Rule 34. Google it.

Islander_fml 5

That's freaking awesome! I would love it if I found that out about my favorite childhood songs.

Those songs are about those things to you. Art is open to interpretation.