By gracehi - 07/03/2014 20:29 - United States - Jacksonville

Today, I awoke to the sound of a gunshot, followed by children screaming. I leapt out of bed and ran to my balcony, only to see people casually milling around the elementary school parking lot under a "Science Fair" banner. A kid's science experiment scared me shitless. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 543
You deserved it 4 517

gracehi tells us more.

Thank you, but I wasn't brave. There's a tall picket fence and some trees obscuring the view of my apartment from the school. I can only see the school parking lot because I'm on the second story. The only reason someone would be able to see me from there would be if they were looking for me. I would have been quite safe, even if there had been any real danger. If there really was some lunatic shooting up the school, at the very least I would have called the cops. I'd like to think I would also grab my gun, head over there, and try to shoot the mother ****** myself, but you never really know what you'll do in a situation like that until it happens.

Top comments

immunetoinsanity 23

At least it wasn't actually a gunshot!

Of course not. You always sit inside and wait for the people who got shot to tell you what happened.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
inner_peace 19

Probably to check on the situation?

That's the reason why white people always get killed in movies

Hell yah you do! neighborhood watch comes to the rescue.

Of course not. You always sit inside and wait for the people who got shot to tell you what happened.

So you would stay inside if you thought children were in danger?

bertyogurt 7

Yeah, because if children were getting murdered, **** 'em, right? Selfish and cowardice is what that is.

WD_Stevens 22

I wanted to say kudos to you OP for being brave. It's better to have been a false alarm than to ignore a vicious mass murder

badluckalex 23

everyone should be applauding OP's bravery! it is a good thing nobody got hurt. I would never that close to an elementary school though cuz shit like this can happen, or worse.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
asnakelovinbabe 16

I hear gunshots outside a couple times a month and I always go outside to see what's going on. Then if I see their vehicle I call the police. And the last time that happened they finally nabbed the damned bastard that has been driving around firing his friggin rifle out his truck window at deer around my damned house! I come from a family of hunters but THAT nonsense isn't tolerated. I guess if I lived in an area where gunshots aren't normal due to being in an area where there aren't game animals, I would be more cautious about gunshots and probably carry a sidearm with me before just barging out the front door. But yea, I would still investigate especially if I heard kids yelling!

Thank you, but I wasn't brave. There's a tall picket fence and some trees obscuring the view of my apartment from the school. I can only see the school parking lot because I'm on the second story. The only reason someone would be able to see me from there would be if they were looking for me. I would have been quite safe, even if there had been any real danger. If there really was some lunatic shooting up the school, at the very least I would have called the cops. I'd like to think I would also grab my gun, head over there, and try to shoot the mother ****** myself, but you never really know what you'll do in a situation like that until it happens.

Lil_Red777 21

Um yeah if I hear kids screaming I'm gonna go make sure they're alright and see if anyone's hurt.

buttcramp 21

OP good for you for springing into action! Even if all a person does is call 911 (in a real situation) that's still something to be proud of!

Generally yes... But I would be armed myself

"OH SHIT, sounds like people are dying out there!.... oh well not my problem. back to sleep."

Probably not the best idea to bring a gun to a school in that type of situation, even if someone else is shooting up the school. If and when the cops show up, you're a target as well.

Womder if it's brave or stupid to go in with your own gun...( too easy to be mistaken for the real shooter yourself ).

I would say be a vigilante but yeah I would just call the police because there are only two outcomes if you enter the scene with a gun. 1: shooter kills you. 2: you kill shooter, and cops kill you.

immunetoinsanity 23

At least it wasn't actually a gunshot!

inner_peace 19

No biggie, OP. Most of us would have had a similar reaction.

You have tp watch out for those pesky science projects never know when theyll strike

The vinegar and the baking soda... Striking fear in the hearts of men since clay has been formed into the shape of volcanoes.

At least everyone was/is safe (except maybe the kids standing next to the explosion who were covered with with baking soda and vinegar)!

Eh, at one point in time I was scared shitless by a video game. Nothing to worry about, at lead it wasn't an actual gunshot.

Since I live in a rural area, rather than a town, I hear gunshots very close to my...trailer very often.

Even if it wasn't a gun shot, it would still scare me shitless if that happened to me.

CatcherQueen 15

Once I heard people screaming and running in high school. Thinking there was a shooting, I hid behind the garbage disposal. It turned out to be a senior prank. They were throwing water balloons at people.

jazzy_123 20

I'm pretty sure you would have heard it clearly if it WAS a shooting....

CatcherQueen 15

There were people screaming. I could have either stood around to find out or hid. And what if there was a silencer? I am not waiting around to find out why they are screaming.

Guns can have suppressors, but even then a gunshot is a gunshot. You've been watching too many Hollywood spy films.

jazzy_123 20

actually good point, I forgot about silencers haha. I grew up in the "hood" so you swear all the gangsters and criminals would worry about silencers.

When I was in high school some kids lit fire crackers under the coke machines outside during break {and because there was a threat earlier that year} everyone thought people were shooting and started running. I get how scary that feeling is. I was terrified. When something like that happens you don't think about all the things it could be, you're instincts are to save yourself!

Hey. Give yourself some credit. You were sleeping. You had no way of knowing what wad going on. At least the outcome was happy and not the grisly sight you were preparing for.

True. I wasn't the only one startled it seems, too. My neighbors also came out to see what was happening.