By nolinguist - 22/11/2009 17:39 - Austria

Today, I arrived in Austria. Within about an hour, I realized that I couldn't understand any "German". Turns out they have a totally different dialect here to anything I was taught in school. I'm here till May. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 312
You deserved it 18 787

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"ich liebe meine scheide" just say that everywhere you go

remember, the universal language for ordering at a restaraunt is point at the item listed.

Comments

You'll figure it out. :) There are different dialects all over the German-speaking world. Hey, I was in Saxony and I couldn't understand a thing! Especially in stores and such, they realize pretty quickly that you know only academic or "high" German, and will soon switch over to that and speak slower for you. I found that happened more often than not. Enjoy the experience! I'm SO jealous!

xzilx 1

Of course its different, Germany and Austria are two different places.

Xader 0

So are the US and Canada, but there is so little real difference as to be negligible.

Except that parts of Canada speak French...

rihannalover 0

hey, you live in a foreign country for a couple months and you learn the language. you'll be fine, you already know german. it won't take you very long to pick up the language.

If all else fails, just talk like Arnold Schwarzenegger haha. But I'm sure you'll do fine; Austrian German is still German so you're off to a good start.

Fortunately you're in Europe, and a lot of people there do speak at least some English. Also, you might try the Austrian>English dictionary section in the bookstore. Then there is also sign language, or taking a vow of silence. Either way, this isn't really an FML.

Yeah, you get to live in a foreign country, experience a completely different culture, get to know people outside of your country, experience a completely different life style and most likely go through a life-changing experience and you're disappointed by the fact that you can't use your third-rate, piss-poor excuse for German? Yeah, eff your life big time. You should die, right now.

RipIt 0
Invierno 10

And you didn't know this prior to your departure? 'Tis a shame... I have a feeling you'll be asking "Spreche Sie Englisch?" quite often. Have fun!

Yeah - I could understand not knowing that for a week long vacation, but to not know that before moving there for 6+ months? Language classes alone are almost never enough to prepare you for how the language is actually spoken. You can read things, and people might be able to understand you, but unless you have speaking and listening experience with people from a certain region, it will be difficult.

How the hell did you not know that Austrians speak a different dialect of German? That was cultural lesson number 1 for us: different regions of Germany, and different German speaking countries, have their own dialect and accents. That said, welcome to the 2nd language learning pitfall from hell that affects pretty much every study abroad person known to man: you didn't learn to speak the conversational language in class. You learned to speak Hochdeutsch with grammatical finesse and probably by listening to whatever is considered the "standard" German accent and lexicon. My advice, hon? Get out there and stumble your way around Austria. It'll come to you.

Rob19 0