By cat_loser - 09/12/2016 01:29

Today, I agreed to catsit for a friend. Her cat rode back to my house sitting on my shoulder in the car. As soon as I opened the door, he jumped out and ran off into the woods. It's been 2 1/2 hours and not even food will entice him back to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 8 724
You deserved it 3 349

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Losing your friends cat really sucks and I hope you get it back. However, it should've been transported in a kennel. Keeping a loose animal in the car, especially riding on you while driving, is dangerous, they hit you in the wrong place or freak out and it can cause an accident. A crate also would've prevented it from escaping when you opened the car.

Get ready to start apologizing to your friend. I'm with #6. Pets need to be transported in carriers to avoid this exact situation. Your friend should have given you one.

Comments

You're a man who is taking care of a cat for a female friend. I may be wrong but if she'd rather have a cat than you....

Do you routinely drop friendships because the person owns a cat?

Even if you or your friend don't have a cat carrier, our vet recommended putting cats in a pillowcase with the end closed when traveling. They feel secure in the small, dark space and can't escape when you stop. If you find the cat, you might try that in the future.

cats can not resist boxes. my friend didn't believe me until her house cat got out at night during a storm and she spent an hour looking and calling for her. 2 minutes after putting out a box the cat showed up.

That's why you transport cats in cat carriers

Hopefully the cat comes back. They have great sense of direction so might run back to its owners house. I know it's too late now but a cat carrier would've been the safest way to transport the cat. Anyways I had a cat many years ago that ran back to the old neighborhood after we moved across town and the neighbour's were feeding him and then called us to go pick him up.Hope you find the kitty.

HEnRyEdwardsIII 15

Hopefully the friend wasn't Jack Burns, he may push you out of his circle of trust.

cheshireau 26

Could you have left it at the friends house and just went to the house to feed, clean and spend time with it? It's what we do for my Aunts cats when she goes away.

Why wasn't the cat in a carrier or on a harness and leash?

SuumahEli 23

Something similar happened to me while cat sitting a couple years ago. What I did was get a dog kennel and pour cat nip all over the inside and set it right outside the door. And this is going to sound super dumb, but it totally worked, but we tied a string around the door of the dog kennel and hid inside the house. I sat there hours watching Netflix on my phone, but she finally went at the cat nip and I pulled the string which closed the door. And VIOLA! I know that's a lot to read, but it worked for me. I wish you the best of luck!

seriously this is the best advice I've ever seen for a situation like this because the cat doesn't think of your house as its home and it's very unlikely that it will come there on its own was the catnip green and fresh

Seriously? How can one be so horrendously stupid? YDI all the way. Animals should never ever be let lose in a moving car. Especially and absolutely not an animal you don't know. Do you drink/text and drive as well? Because your foresight seems to end right after your forehead. Not only can the pet suddenly jump in your face or between your legs, causing a possibility fatal accident, but in case of an emergency brake, they'll go flying right through the windshield.