This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By NewJobBlues - 14/04/2017 18:00

Today, having started my first job recently, I was excited to see when my first scheduled shift would be. Too bad I'm limited to the bus system and have no possible way of arriving on time for my 4 am shift next week. When they asked if I could work any time, I guess they meant that literally. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 502
You deserved it 4 084

Top comments

Yes, any time means whenever they happen to need you. Cross your fingers they don't fire you for lying about your availability.

How could you agree to a job without knowing the possible hours required when you agree to be able to work ANY time? You should follow up that question with what hours they have people working so you know if they do indeed mean something insanely early or late.

Comments

Considering this is your first job, it's an understandable thing to make a mistake about. But yeah, 'available any time' always means any time. If you're asked that again in the future, clarify what hours somewhere is even open, before agreeing to just 'any time', heh. Good luck with the job!

url!fesUcks 1

Dude, you have got to put a buffer "I don't want to work any earlier/later than this" time. Also, know the hours of the job you're signing up for... a good rule of thumb is assume they could call you in two hours before or after closing. If it's the type of job with larger displays (like Bath & Body Works or Victoria's Secret) assume ANY time.

WeirdUS 29

Glad you were able to work something out. Most don't assume anytime could be going in before the store opens that it just means within their normal business hours.

Isa_fml 20

Well, yes. Any time means any time the business is open...

My stepdad had that problem when he was a train driver. He didn't say anything and just slept in the breakroom, eventually they gave him the work when he wanted it since he was such a good, dedicated employee.

mariri9206 32

Proper response, on both parts.

So why we're you unaware of that? Either you misinterpreted the business hours or they miscommunicated. Usually what shifts will need to be covered is brought up in the interview.

Tell them you've had a change of availability, and see if they will consider changing your schedule.

I had that issue before, but I also made it clear to them that I would get there no matter what - even if I had to take taxis for a while. They like that initiative. And especially since the bus system in my city is total shit, if I relied on the bus ONLY, I'd never get to work. Right now I can either walk to work (takes 1+ hr), taxi it ($15-20 a ride), or get a ride from a friend. Not the most cost-effective solution but when you don't drive, it's YOUR responsibility to make it there when they need you there... they're not gonna work around YOUR schedule every single time.

OP again; seems I need to clarify a few other things (although why I'm bothering doesn't make a lot of sense) This is my first job, and I did not think to ask about shift hours. Using the bus is the only way I can get anywhere because a) I'm a broke student (hence the need for a job and a paycheck, which also mean taxies/ubers are out) and b) the person who could have given me a ride suddenly turned around on me and said nope. Also, using the bus I could make it there an hour before opening, and stay until just after close (which I thought would be fine) - so this shift that starts 3 hours before the store opens really caught me by surprise. It was not once mentioned to me by my manager (who I only JUST met when I had to sort this out) or the other people I had been working with (I had a temporary 9-5 shift before exams started). So yeah, I screwed up thinking that saying I could "work anytime" would be within business hours and having no idea about this shift. It's my first job - hell it was after my first ever interview that they offered it to me and I was in no position to turn it down. Lesson learned for next time.\ Also, just want to say that to those who assumed the worst of me from so little info: way to judge a book by it's cover. I'm a young adult, still in school, and only just starting to get into the working world. Screw ups are a given. I did not lie. However, I did not know all the info and definitely didn't know the questions I needed to ask. Plus, sh*t happens in life which made this whole situation a lot more complicated. Not all of it was within my control.

tease_ftx 8

uber it. or call a taxi cab. you could also purchase a bicycle.