By joeker124 - 18/11/2016 05:55 - United States - North Fort Myers

Today, at my first AA meeting, my best friend thought it would be funny to burst in drunk and tell everyone that I was the champion at beer pong and that there was a party at my place after my "quitter club" ended. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 565
You deserved it 935

joeker124 tells us more.

Hey, OP here. I appreciate all of the positive comments, and, not going to lie, he's been my friend since birth and it did kind of make me laugh when he first did it. But when he did sober up, I he apologized and cried, asking for help. So he'll be joining me next week and I'm very excited to get my best friend back. Again, thank you guys for the positive comments.

Top comments

Well he definitely will not be proud of himself when he sobers up. I sincerely hope, anyways.

I would hope they're not your best friend anymore? I would think a friend would be supportive of you trying to improve your lifestyle, not ruin your attempts.

Comments

are you kidding? that's the best part of quitters club

LOL I know you don't want to hear this, but your friend is the shit. that's the funniest thing I've read today!

God, that's awful, I'm sorry. I'm also in recovery. I have 2 years and 4 months sober. keep it up man. it works if you work it.

Hey, OP here. I appreciate all of the positive comments, and, not going to lie, he's been my friend since birth and it did kind of make me laugh when he first did it. But when he did sober up, I he apologized and cried, asking for help. So he'll be joining me next week and I'm very excited to get my best friend back. Again, thank you guys for the positive comments.

jnugzzz 6

That's great! I hope you guys can stick with the program together and be accountibilibuddies! Good luck!

This is one the happier ending FML's that I've read.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Way to be an absolute, unsupportive, and, if you talk like this to anyone that you know that has an alcohol addiction- which is considered a DISEASE for a reason, by the way- that WANTS to change, abusive. Kindly take your rude and toxic comments, write them on the wide end of a baseball bat, and insert them into your rectum, because you obviously are someone that has some problems of their own they need to sort out, as your comment was written the way only someone who doesn't know how to interact without being emotionally abusive could write.

according to the millions of Americans struggling with varying degrees of addiction yea id say there are a lot of people who have an emptiness for one reason or another that they try to fill with their drug of choice. most addicts will tell you they wanted to escape, it must be nice to live with rose colored glasses and not see the pain other people go through. I hope no one you love ever has an addiction and looks to you for support smh. Op can work on his addiction to alcohol maybe you should work on being a decent human being, its not easy takes a lot of work but breaking any addiction is hard, be it alcohol or being an asshole. best of luck on your recovery.

Maybe you should actually read or pay attention when you choose to rag on someone 'you think' is a 'bad person'. Rose colored glasses? Seriously? did you even really read the post? I never chastised the original poster or even his drunk friend, I was chastising some random egghead who I quote, said: "Beer pong is more fun than sobriety." Depression and chronic pain (2 most common reasons to drink) is the only justified reason in my opinion to drink, and even then IT'S STILL a problem, but that there alone HAS NOTHING to do with what I said previously at all.. That poster who sad beer pong is more fun than sobriety... yeah that there has nothing to do with depression and/or trying to drown your sorrows or pain, its rather obvious. (I can name a thousand things way more fun in sobriety than mere beer pong and drunkeness) I'm happy for the original poster that your friend took a step back from himself and saw he has a problem, hopefully no one will be angry at him if he shows up at the next AA meeting. As a side note for the OP you might want to consider going to other alternative means of therapy as well just for variety. I'm guessing you are a male and your friend is as well, men are not usually open beings so maybe looking into other types of therapies that help you open up might help fix or help the cause to your initial downward spiral into alcoholism, just as precautions to prevent a relapse, that and in my opinion as a woman, talking and being open always lightens that load of a heavy mental and emotional burden even if just a little bit. Sadly Hollywood AND society as a whole still portrays "male sentiment and openess" as being weak or effeminate, and it isn't, so try it and I hope you well wishes. Oh yeah and going to alternative types of therapies in addition to your AA meetings can help curb the cravings simply by having more things to do or even potentially lead into other engaging activities. You know just like how people trying to quite smoking might take up yoga, candy, gum etc etc.

dragoongirl90 34

Did you even read the damn post?

About Llyev : I like video games, I'm just a weird girl. I ride a Honda goldwing too, I like cats and I'm playing ESO a lot. I like literature, you know like physical books? Yea you remember those right? I always liked the physicality of books, if shit hits the fan and the zombie appocolypse comes, books become impromptu throwing devices, as well as tinder for fire starting. I like pyschology, I mean like a whole lot, I read whatever books and articles I find interesting. My ego will shine since my IQ is mensa status, my humility will dampen that ego in the fact I'm brutally honest, blunt, redundant, and lack any intellectual certifications. Got that never ending curiosity bug, so I'm perpetually studying and in so many different ways. But back to video games, love 'em. Started out PC branched into consoles. I loved fallout and the elder scrolls series before it was mainstream, I played those games on PC when they originally came out nearly 2 decades ago. Pssst I love dark souls.

Gerber29 3

If friends can't support you I what you think is best for your life, then they aren't friends

mermaidgirle 12

If this is a recurring thing OP, then maybe you should reevaluate the friendship. You need support, not undermining.

I've heard from others who've had struggles with addiction that one of the most difficult aspects of walking away from whatever addiction they were struggling with was the friends that they also had to remove from their lives. I wish it didn't have to be, but sometimes there will be friends, even best friends, who don't understand or won't accept what you're trying to do or that there's a problem. I hope that's not the case here. Wishing you strength on your journey.